Xt rear mech stripdown

seanr68

Old School Hero
Feedback
View
I'm wanting to strip down my xt 739 rear mech so I can give it a good clean and polish, possibly reanodize it.
Question is; can the pins that hold the 3 main body parts together be reused? Also whats the chance of getting the bugger back together? I know theres a lot of tension on them there springy bits. I'm quite handy at fixing stuff(in my own special way,) has anyone else tried this with success?
Ta lots.

You really need a machine vice. Done it once year ago, and while its doable with some sweating it's virtually impossible to take the parallelogram apart without scratching it up.

Cheers for that.
Sounds like I'm heading down a slippery slope but nuts, I'll have a go. Just bought two knackered spare mechs off ebay to practice on.
I've got a soft jawed vice, what's the worst that can happen?! ;-)

Not like you can make them any worse if they're already broken :D

"The worst that could happen"...

You could lose an eye to a "springy bit"?

Aside from that I can only think of the dreaded fridge-suck claiming something small and non-ferrous :p

Chopper1192":30dro6nb said:
You really need a machine vice. Done it once year ago, and while its doable with some sweating it's virtually impossible to take the parallelogram apart without scratching it up.

How did you pull the pins out?

You have to file/grind off the peened-over 'tabs' holding them in place then drift them out with a parallel punch...

integerspin":1hd1tzxs said:
Chopper1192":1hd1tzxs said:

I pressed them out with a machine vice. Made a release out of wood to support it but still scratched it up.

Thanks for the info everyone.
As for taking my eyes out with the springy parts, I'll just stick my goggles on. ;-)
I'll put up some pics of any progress I may make.

Chopper1192":w6i94xbk said:
integerspin":w6i94xbk said:
Chopper1192":w6i94xbk said:

I pressed them out with a machine vice.

The M735 pins are all in blind holes.

Is there a way to strip down the mech if the pins go into blind holes? I assume the only way would be to carefully drill out old pins, and then replace them. Probably have to use roll pins as originals come only in unobtainium, unless anyone knows differently?

Back