Cycling Orphans - your 0ne-off builds

xerxes":2bgg332v said:
Looks like it has down tube shifter mounts and a front and rear rack mounts. What size wheels does it take? Because it looks more like a touring frame than an MTB.

If you mean mine - those aren't downtube shifter mounts, they're cable stops, and it takes 26" wheels - least it did when I had it built up, and ran it with cantis.

But yes, I suspect some of the early UK MTB frames were probably moprhed from road / touring type frames. I bought this new in 95, but I suspect it really had been hanging around for a good few years as new old stock (see how I seamlessly segued away from using that TLA that seems to be so controversial here?).

xerxes":1krixzz6 said:
I never did find out exactly what my unknown frame was. All I know is that it originally had a "Swatch Chrono" sticker, was made in Taiwan from Tange Ultimate Ultrastrong and came from Austria:

UK14.jpg

Still ridden regularly and to some extent I'm not particularly bothered about what it is. :D

Original thread: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... e#p1743220
Could this be a mongoose iboc comp, 92 model (came in yellow and purple)

Could this be a mongoose iboc comp, 92 model (came in yellow and purple)

I don't think so, Mongoose had a wishbone seat stay. Shame, I like wishbone seat stays, I think they look really neat.

Neil, your frame/forks scream Raleigh or Falcon at me though possibly the forks are not original to the bike.
Personally I love it, lurid fade into each other paint schemes are great.

Gravy Monster":39in8i2s said:
Great thread,

This one my dad has and loves , he want to get it re finished but has no idea WTF it is still , I was thinking along a rock lobster ? Frame number is 0H94070490

Original thread viewtopic.php?t=78670&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=wishbone+content&start=0

GaffBike.jpg

GaffBike7.jpg

GaffBike6.jpg

GaffBike4.jpg

Cheers

GM :cool:

it is indeed a Rock lobster - circa 1996 when Merlin bought the name and they were badged as Amazon to get around it but a proper Lobster (i have one in the same colour)

Back