I've finished my Claud Butler rebuild...(56k warning!)

butler

Try experimenting with tyre pressures. My old Holdsworth used to be a right boneshaker on Conti Gatorskins and I found that it only needed 80lbs in them to ride sweetly. Of course, I had rumped them right up to 110 and wondered what the problem was!

Re: Claud Butler rebuild

I'm inspired by what you've done with your Dalesman.
Just acquired a Claude Butler Sovereign 1980 from a neighbour - it had been hanging in his garage for 15yrs since he developed a heart problem and stopped riding. He bought it in Harrods and it still has the original Harrods stickers on it. It's in good nick, I've cleaned it up with degreaser and a tooth brush, and I'm enjoying riding it, but I plan to restore it which is something I have never done before.
Problem is the colour is...ghastly, 'metallic bronze' according to the '81 CB brochure. Looks like elastoplast that has been left out in the rain for a year (see photos) - don't think I can live with it, which is why what you've done with Notromors and Halfords paint is so interesting.
I won't go for the Charge Plug effect, will stay more period CB.
Anybody got any suggestions for authentic CB colours from the 70s/80s ? Preferably dark, I'm thinking black, dark green, dark red.
Can you rescue decals from a frame and put them back on after respraying ? (i'm guessing no)
Best way to polish up tired looking aluminium ? (wire wool, sandpaper, Brasso ?)
I'll post the occasional update as to my progress.

Attachments

• CBS@25%.JPG
    CBS@25%.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 543
  • CBSdetail@25%.JPG
    CBSdetail@25%.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 543
Back