Moving advice

Canuck

Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
May be moving from Denmark back home to Canada. Anyone have any advice on moving a load stuff from one side of the planet to the other? It's gonna take more than a suitcase! :LOL:

rent a container and have it shipped by sea, not as much as you'd think, a friend did it from europe to NZ a few years ago.

My top tips, in this order

1. Pay someone else to do the packing. Our 4 bed house took 8 guys 2 days to pack up. They worked solid.
2. Ship early and go on holiday for as long as you can manage to reduce time spent without your stuff.
3. Throw stuff away. Be ruthless.
4. Sit down when they tell you how much it will cost to ship your pets.
5. Make sure the answer to the question "Where are the spare car keys?" is not "In one of (175) boxes" 10 minutes before someone comes round to buy your car.

Oh, final tip. Air freight can be cheaper than excess baggage for the necessities. Unless you discover you have 240kg baggage allowance courtesy of your frequent flyer royalty status; then you can just turn up with 17 bags and enjoy the look on the faces of the people at check in :)

Cheaper to use a line container, as renting can be expensive. Suggest you book it through a personal effects removals / forwarder company as they will be a one stop shop, and most normal forwarders refuse personal effects, or sub them out. They will likely make use of the lines container anyway. Denmark to Canada will take 2-3 weeks by sea. I agree about getting pros to pack it, as you can also hold them liable for any damage. Insurance is also more likely to pay up no questions asked if packed by pros. Make sure you are aware of regulations as to what you can and can't take to the destination country. Read the ts and cs of the quote, and make sure it includes delivery, and customs clearance.

jonnyboy666":mpnr1moc said:
rent a container and have it shipped by sea, not as much as you'd think, a friend did it from europe to NZ a few years ago.

Probably the best if not cheapest method and used by people emigrating almost as a rule. Advice i think is to send it on ahead so you are there when it arrives or just after,whatever would be easiest/best.

Unless of course it washes up on some English beach ;) :LOL: :LOL:

dyna-ti":2nwhdiws said:
jonnyboy666":2nwhdiws said:

Probably the best if not cheapest method and used by people emigrating almost as a rule. Advice i think is to send it on ahead so you are there when it arrives or just after,whatever would be easiest/best.

Unless of course it washes up on some English beach ;) :LOL: :LOL:

Except you can't rent containers for less than 3 months :roll: At £2-3 a day + VAT that adds up.

Shipping lines give you them for free when you ship with them, for use on their sailing. You then have long enough to deliver your stuff the other end, and return them. Renting them is a misnomer.

Don't mind me, I spent 11 years of my life dealing with this type of thing for a living

Back