29er Conversion - Marzocchi Shiver content

Rumble

MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Does anyone know if a Marzocchi Shiver SC will take a 29" wheel without needing to be modified? I don't have the bike to hand to measure but below are a couple of pictures showing the forks at full extension and locked down. The lockout prevents the rebound from working but I don't think it locks the fork down at full compression. Anyone know if there would be room or if the tyre would hit the crown on compression. Geometry shouldn't be an issue as I've found dropouts to convert the frame.

Suspect I'm going to have to get hold of the forks and do some measuring but here goes...

Locked down

Full extension

650B might be a goer. A fair number of 26" forks will take 650B, but you'll ruin the bikes geometry. It's gonna steer like a fully laden supertanker with a stoned helmsman, and the increased BB height won't help stability.

The only reason I was looking at 29er was that I came across some NOS mountain cycle dropouts designed to let the frame take 29" wheels without messing up the geometry, dropping the BB back down to where it should be. I'm not all that fussed about fancy new wheel sizes, but I thought this might have been a relatively cheap way of trying it out.

It's too complicated for me to work out the implications of using 27.5" wheels on a 26" frame with dropouts to adapt to 29" :facepalm:

Ah, if its proper gear to tweak the geometry to compensate then could be a goer, though the head angle may still be a bit steep, but hopefully not radically.

Back