Alpinestars cro-mega DX 1991

Powder coater I used a couple of times told me they don't get flouro colours anymore. I used a car body shop to paint my Explosif frame, forks and stem £50. Might pop in there when I get spare 5 mins.

Ok, I will try and contact a local body shop to see if they will lacquer it for me for a beer token donation. Any news on the RAL code for the grey paint, although I might just ask a body shop to do the grey over the white powder and let me apply the decals and then lacquer. I will see what I can achieve whilst at work and post some updates when its done.

It's about time some progress was reported on this, so listen up! :)

Ok, the previous pics mean nothing now and only stand for bad memories of lacquering issues that i will be glad to forget.

New decals, fresh powder coat plus a load of parts have been thrown at this now. The grey/white powder was a controversial issue as the coaters suddenly decided that they could do 2 colours with a minimal fade between the two colours. The only trouble is that the other colour beyond the first one can 'freckle' the other in places that are within magnetic reach, so some over-spray is present but, an acceptable compromise as i now have a tough finish to frame and fork.

The parts are a mix of period correct and whatever else i could get hold of and, liked the look of. This is no catalogue facsimile and the decals are placed to please both factory spec and 'over-spray' issues ;)

I'm really getting a buzz from the bike now and want to ride it, asap. It's just a case of cabling up and generally tuning it all in. A chain would help too :) I had to buy a cheapo headset spanner as i got caught out with no 40mm one, i'm a 32 and 36 kind of guy.

This mountain bike owes me.

From re-coat to finishing touches and now the front mech caused me some grief! The bolt AND half moon nut had stripped themselves of useful alloy thread leaving me with a sense of "what the flip do i do now" So, i had to adapt, overcome and improvise somewhat. The only steel bolts i had laying around were one gauge up and generally incompatible. I found a bolt with a washer and had to shave outer diameter of washer down to fit into mech body then force the bolt through half moon nut (after drilling out 4mm) which more or less tapped itself in. The fun was short lived as when i tighened it all up the steel bolt stripped the half moon nut! Ok, no big deal as i just backed the whole lot up with a steel nut and thread-locked it all in. Then capped rest of bolt off with a v brake pad nut. All seems ok, will soon find out :|

You get the idea.

These pedals are my favourite so they have been put on this bike, nothing special vp...something but stink 90's.

Better job on decals too, cheers gil!

I will do some 'out and about' shots as soon as i can and write up a more detailed parts spec. I had to laugh at myself when i forgot to remove the protective sheaths i put on the x-lite nos bar ends. Like when a car gets delivered with films on the alloys etc.. :LOL:

cheers.

Hi chris, yes the peaks ride is intended as the main baptism for it. Although i will do a few local miles to see that it's in good fettle. That is, if i'm feeling good and fit, failing that i've a new machine (rock lobster) with rockshox AND v-brakes. Comfprt and performance, woooo...

cheers.

Cheers wook. tyres have been swapped for some new WTB primal raptors, they are quite narrow and allowed me adjust from mech a little lower to ensure i can engage chain and small ring. Everything else is done and i'm just waiting on a chain to drop through the letter box. I can do some better pics then.

The rear mech is what i bought from your good self and is about the only 'correct' item on there :LOL: the rest is a true jumble of stuff.

Seriously over due bump. This bike has been up and running since autumn, or fall ;) last year.

After learning some expensive lessons on D.I.Y lacquering it is now fit for duty. The ride is direct and comfortable, more so than the '92 version i had. The suntour cantis work well with kool stop thin line, they actually stop you...

Back