Single speed? I don't get it! What's the point?

Re:

Russell":3m4pmazq said:
I love my singlespeed.

Literally, love it.

That is all.

Its been 12 months since I wrote this and we're still together, and still very much in love. Maybe more so.

..and since then this came up for sale locally and I couldn't say no for my ultimate sub-zero snow and ice bike.

Attachments

• Ti_Hag_Winter_2012_rs.jpg
    Ti_Hag_Winter_2012_rs.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 390
I have just sat and carefully read all 7 pages of this thread with great interest.

I have to admit I did think; too trendy, no point, etc etc. But having read this I have almost 100% made up my mind that my '96 Saracen forcetrax rebuild is going to be a rigid SS...

Thanks to you all for your input. And I will blame you when I get knackered going up the hills :LOL:

DD

been out on the ss for the first time today, totally different style of riding. it's all SPRINT.....and coast, then SPRINT.....and coast! love it
it's all riding, but is a sprinter doing something different to a marathon runner? yes! but they're both running!

neither am i mr chopper, but i found myself buzzing off my own personal fitness.....as opposed to the ride. same result...(a good time) but through different avenues. i'm gonna stick with it for mad 1 hour after work blasts....but i think big sunday rides will warrant the 24 gears and boingy boingy of the san an!

if, after a few more weeks, i still like the "balls out or nothin'" feel, then i may well ss the klein. and then i will find it hard to admit....but i may only need 2 bikes!!

i only put my foot down once today....just after i pushed the gear selector forward. to stop me stalling.....but it wasn't there. the bike just stopped!!!
on the way back to the house, i met the mrs taking the dogs over the field, so i went. 1 hour at walking pace with no feet down....i forgot about track stands etc.....loved it!!

If you are lucky enough to have some trails on your door step and a chunk of free time I highly recommend it, riding your favourite trails SS and/or rigid really highlights the lines and the lie of the land.

I have run SS MTBs since 2001 and think it adds a real dynamic to trails you are used to and general riding

Okay i'll throw my opinion in just for kicks.

Like many I rode and enjoyed a gear bike for many years, it's easy and fun. See a hill, dump a bunch of gears, sit and spin to the top. When the trail goes flat shift again and hit warp drive. One of the added advantages (of my full sus) bike was that I could also plow through the rocks and keep my speed up. It was great fun going as fast as possible all the time until one day I realized how lazy I have become as a rider, choosing bad lines because my bike allowed me to float over and through, always hunting for the proper cadence.

A few of my riding pals (single speeders and bike mechanics) ride only single speeds, so I thought i'd give it a go.

I proceeded to build a nice steel full rigid single speed and it really opened my eyes. First it was pure misery standing and grinding up hills, feeling all the bumps and getting pounded by the rocks. Then one day it just clicked, yes it still hurts but on sustained climbs i'm far faster than before, my handling skills have improved ten-fold, and i'm almost always quicker overall then my geared pals because I go faster uphill and smoother everywhere else (with the exception of our local babyhead gardens). Plus it is always great fun passing geared riders on a ss, both going up and down.

I tried to ride my squishy bike again and just hated it, too soft, too much going on.

Not sure if i'll ever go back to gears, for now i'm super happy on my 1 geared wonder.

Oh and yeah, I ride mountains.

Back