1989 Raleigh Banana Team Bike - Dave Rayner

I will do the same mine was an ex ANC Halfords team bike so an orange Turbo is as rare as hens teeth but Magggie did me proud

citrixccea":1a1br1rb said:
Levers!I wonder if any of you eagle-eyed chaps can tell me which generations of C Record these levers are ?

Been following the thread with interest as I am currently writing a book about the SBDU.

Levers: both levers are Record Corsa, the lever on the left has the oval adjuster hole - it is a Powergrade lever; the earlier lever does not have this adjuster.

The decision not to apply the Gerald O'Donovan decal was the correct one, they are often and incorrectly applied to restored SBDU frames, they did not appear originally on Ilkeston SBDU frames.

I've had a frame from new (I visited the SBDU) and all frames I've seen that are original (i.e unrestored), have not had this decal.

Roadking.

That makes sense - It seems as though 'resprayed' bikes did have the decal added, indeed it was images of the lo-pro Raleigh Banana, which had originally been Malcolm Elliotts, but was resprayed in RB colours which had the decal.

In restoring a bike like this, there is no absolute - you do your homework, listen to the experts and follow your instinct, and still reserve the right to change your own mind.

citrixccea":150ida8y said:
That makes sense - It seems as though 'resprayed' bikes did have the decal added, indeed it was images of the lo-pro Raleigh Banana, which had originally been Malcolm Elliotts

Malcolm Elliott never rode for Raleigh Banana!

Was this lo-pro just"his bike"?

I have photos of Malcolm Elliotts Raleigh-Weinmann bike (I was at a team presentation BITD) and that, nor any of the other team bikes had a GO'D decal.

With regard to correctness, if you're building period correct then the details are important. Once the correctness is lost the item (bike, car) loses it's identity - as many are. A genuine team bike always justifies absolute attention to detail.

Roadking.

You are correct, Malcolm Elliott didn't ride for RB, but one of his lo-pro bikes was resprayed in RB colours, there were some postings in here about it.

I'm fairly obsessed with getting it 'right', and appreciate all the help I've had.

Decals received today - full marks to Nick @ H Lloyd cycles, for having NOS stock of quite a few of these, and was able to reproduce the remainder. They all look perfect - but they'll look even better once applied.

For now here they are unapplied.

Attachments

• photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    17.4 KB · Views: 584
so close now....what with this and the TDF starting on Saturday! So looking forward to the finished pictures

I'm having the job done professionally, so I fear you'll have to wait a little while longer - but this story has been 22 years in the making already.

Back