1994 Lotus Monocoque; Meets it's maker.

Re: 1994 Lotus Monocoque

It's all boardmans fault isn't it. So you need it's road sister.

Don't forget they where originally mid to late 80's bikes... Well the road anyway, mtb's where not the original target and a different design.
As far as I know a wing of Lotus Cars called Lotus Engineering bought the rights to the design and pushed it forward. Mike Burrows will know of course.
Be I interesting to know the adaptation and why they made an MTB version and who's ideas they where. You can see the rear end change, obvious why that was altered and why the big name brand then got involved.

I love this bike, looks different, and echo's so many of the Lotus traits, curves, carbon etc. I live just down the road from Lotus and often see the new test cars and new 'sometimes heavily disguised' developments buzzing around carbon fibre a plenty, great find and look forward to hearing and seeing more from this bike :)

Jussa :D

I used to look at them in Cycle World Romsey too.
Is this the one that the guy was selling on here?

its very cool. what does it ride like? have you taken it offroad yet?

Rampage":3lmjl01h said:
I used to look at them in Cycle World Romsey too.
Is this the one that the guy was selling on here?

It is, I knocked him down a bit, and with the level & condition of the bits (All immaculate M900), and the frame being so good, I reckon I got if for a pretty good price.

merckx":3lmjl01h said:
its very cool. what does it ride like? have you taken it offroad yet?

Ta. The forks aren't holding air, so I haven't taken it off road yet... but I have taken it for a blat down the street, a road I'm familiar with, it's my 'Test route'. The ride was 'interesting' to say the least... I won't say more than that until I've ridden it properly.

The Mag 21 SLs on it look good, from 5 feet. As seems to be normal with these, oil has tracked between the metal slider and the paint, and the lacquer isn't really held on with anything. So, I plan to get them functional, then consider my options of re-finishing them. I should know if my replacement air-valve idea has worked in a day or two...

Forks are working! The air valves had gone south, the rubber plugs weren't... er... plugging. I made some silicone plugs 8.5mm and pierced them with a sharpened spoke. We'll see how long they last! They've held pressure for 24hrs already, so fingers crossed.

Hopefully give her a proper ride at the weekend, but I think I need a shorter stem (damn these short arms!!)

Mine has only ever been built to the point of having a quick test ride, nothing tuned in, but interesting is how I would best describe it too. It is worth noting that the Mountainbike shares little lineage with the road going 'boardman' bikes. From my understanding this was a collaboration between British Eagle, Aerotrope and Lotus, an attempt to get a product into the growing MTB sector.

I wouldn't normally love this bike so much but the fact that you have got a bike you have lusted after and searched for for so many years means I now love it. BOTM for sure, it'll have my vote.

As soon as you said Royce hubs I thought....yes!! You have to put them on. Yes they are expensive but it would be the perfect match. Don't forget the BB too!

Back