Olympic Gold, US Open, Wimbledon and now the US Open Again!

Re: Andy Murray

he can't smile, so cannot ever win me over. Tennis is a minority sport for the middle classes. Him winning or not makes no difference to British sport.

That is a smile, making a difference to British Sport.

_62813989_andy_murray_olympics.jpg

that's not a smile, it's a grimace. I watched it, and watched his face contort as he tried to do it

I'm sure the Gland Slam winner, Olympic champion and multi-millionaire Scottish tennis star cares deeply about what Pyro Tim says on Retrobike. But just for clarity wtf has smiling got to do with anything?

Crying is where it's at. That wins over a crowd like nothing else. Smiling's for amateurs.

Lol!

Of course, I would have to throw in a pic of two not known for smiling, not until they both retired at least!
Bjorn-Borg-McEnroe-1980-tennis-rivals1.jpg

...and one a couple who did nothing but smile when they were not fistpumping...
comeontim.jpg
Greg-Rusedski-US-Open-1997-SF_1178578.jpg

But I have to say Murray's forte is not his charming visage.

Pyro Tim":8a7pr0on said:
Tennis is a minority sport for the middle classes. Him winning or not makes no difference to British sport.

Damn. I actually quite like watching the odd game of tennis, but it seems I'm in the wrong 'class'. Guess I should stick to my own and start watching football instead. :(

Koupe":3inuts8l said:
Pyro Tim":3inuts8l said:
Tennis is a minority sport for the middle classes. Him winning or not makes no difference to British sport.

Damn. I actually quite like watching the odd game of tennis, but it seems I'm in the wrong 'class'. Guess I should stick to my own and start watching football instead. :(
So you have a court, and play it regularly? Nothing about what you watch. Not been out on your bike for a while so trying to pick fight online? I was out today, and yesterday. I'm not interested :roll:

Took up tennis in the heyday of Borg. Everyone was into it by the time McEnroe entered the scene, it was not a class based pursuit at an amateur level.

Getting into the sport professionally would involve backing; so unless you stand out as a talent and attract sponsors, being from a family that can fund the adventure certainly will help.

Especially now so many facilities have been removed from our towns and cities.

Like many endeavours in life, mountain biking is one, having backing is going to be an advantage if you want to compete.

Football is certainly one of the more egalitarian sports. Hard to argue against that given the number of players who have emanated from the favela.

I was fortunate to get into sailing as a kid too, now there is a sport that truly encourages involvement on a pay to play basis.

My tennis interest is stimulated by the gladiatorial man to man, woman to woman, man woman to woman man, man man to man man, woman woman to woman woman aspect, nowadays combined with supreme athleticism. Not so much interest in the strawberries and Pimms aspect.

Well it all kicks off tomorrow.

Ironic saying in this context.

Would quite like to see Fed adding to his tally in what might be one of his last years.

Heart is with Murray, but the Serb and the suspicious Spaniard look invincible.

:)

It's a very tricky one to call between the Big Four this year although Djokovic has the kinder draw.

Can Andy Murray win? Absolutely. Will he? Hopefully - we'll certainly know in a for fortnight's time.

Back