What years this GT Zaskar

I have looked for the info regarding frame numbers and the team bit I cannot seem to find this .

As far as I know after 1991 the le version was frame only, in 1991 you could by the le and the Zaskar frame only let me get in and ill get you a link to the 1991 brochure :)

Antfox":2ucazr02 said:
As far as I know after 1991 the le version was frame only, in 1991 you could by the le and the Zaskar frame only let me get in and ill get you a link to the 1991 brochure :)

That'll be good to read to give me some ideas on what sort of look i'm after for the build,did GT make any straight blade forks?

They look wrong with straight blade forks, GT only made curved forks.

The ones to get hold of are the 3d fork, there was a pair on ebay but were / are 70.00 !

It's wrong but I love the Girvin Vektor polished fork on a Zaskar:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=574

Antfox":y0x5gsie said:
They look wrong with straight blade forks, GT only made curved forks.

The ones to get hold of are the 3d fork, there was a pair on ebay but were / are 70.00 !

It's wrong but I love the Girvin Vektor polished fork on a Zaskar:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=574

Those Girvins are not for me but i like the look of the 3D's in black they perfect. What did jump out at me from the 92 catalogue was those GT cranks they look mint.

Yes the girvin forks are marmite !

Try getting the cranks ! All the old gt parts are hard to find in a good condition usually they are all wrote off and too rough to do anything with .

This is my attempt an a complete Zaskar Identification Algorithm:

1. Rounded endcap on top tube (ie where it sticks out behind the seat tube) => no; never a zaskar

2. 6061 stamp (usually on inside right rear dropout, may be missing) => yes, always a Zaskar (unless someone has added a false stamp! has anyone heard of this?)

You have now divided most zaskars and non-zaskars! The only bike that can now confuse you is a 92 or 92 Pantera - the only other GTs to have flat endcaps. (True???)

3 If bike has u-brake and is ball burnished => Zaskar (only the 92 version of Pantera had a U brake and it didn't come in bb finish)

4. Try using the serial number (look at inside left rear dropout - but some bikes don't have a serial number). Then:

http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/info/122/

Here is an email I got from an actual employee of GT:

If the bike frame was manufactured at the Santa Ana CA facility, the first three or four digits of the serial number should be letters abbreviating the model or size of the frame such as "XL", "XXL", CR24, or something like that The next part of the serial number is eight numeric digits. The first four numbers should be a two digit month followed by a two digit year. The last four digits are the serialization digits 0000 to 9999 depending on what number the frame was of the years production.

..But non-American frames have a different serial number style - it starts with a letter that codes the frame maker, and possibly uses another let to ocde assembly country, and then two letters to code date:

if your serial is KGCG2297 this one gets a little complicated. but still easy once you learn the code to it.

the first letter is who made the frame itself, in this case it would be "Kenisis", an overseas company.this could be replaced by another letter but at least we know what that one is there for.

next is the letter "G"..this isnt always there, but if so, this is where it was assembled, (ever notice the built in usa sticker on your gt or dyno?) this is what that letter is there for. it wasnt made here, but was built here.

next is the letter "C"..C is the 3rd letter in the alphabet, and march is the 3rd month, so march is the build month.

next is the letter "G" this is the year. G is the 7th letter in the alphabet, so this would be a 1987.

If the frame number is American style, then you have a Zaskar - because all Panteras were Taiwanese made. But if the serial number is Taiwanese style then ou MAY have a Zaskar - you need to work out the date from the code and see if it is after the date (2000???) that Zaskar frames started to be built in Taiwan. That's if you count Taiwanese Zaskars as the real thing - there's a change in tubing, at least in name.

5. If there is no serial number, the bike is probably a Zaskar, because no one has recorded a Pantera with no serial number (???)

Questions:

- Is there anywhere you can look for a 7001 stamp on a Pantera?

- Were Taiwanese Zaskars built of a proprietary (columbus?) tubing that would have had its own stamp instead of 6061?

- Do Taiwanese Zaskars count as Zaskars?

Notes:

- Spankys serial number = yes, 91 Zaskar!

Someone on here must have created an app for this by now surely. :D

PurpleFrog":13iyfgux said:
This is my attempt an a complete Zaskar Identification Algorithm:

1. Rounded endcap on top tube (ie where it sticks out behind the seat tube) => no; never a zaskar

2. 6061 stamp (usually on inside right rear dropout, may be missing) => yes, always a Zaskar (unless someone has added a false stamp! has anyone heard of this?)

You have now divided most zaskars and non-zaskars! The only bike that can now confuse you is a 92 or 92 Pantera - the only other GTs to have flat endcaps. (True???)

3 If bike has u-brake and is ball burnished => Zaskar (only the 92 version of Pantera had a U brake and it didn't come in bb finish)

4. Try using the serial number (look at inside left rear dropout - but some bikes don't have a serial number). Then:

http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/info/122/

Here is an email I got from an actual employee of GT:

If the bike frame was manufactured at the Santa Ana CA facility, the first three or four digits of the serial number should be letters abbreviating the model or size of the frame such as "XL", "XXL", CR24, or something like that The next part of the serial number is eight numeric digits. The first four numbers should be a two digit month followed by a two digit year. The last four digits are the serialization digits 0000 to 9999 depending on what number the frame was of the years production.

..But non-American frames have a different serial number style - it starts with a letter that codes the frame maker, and possibly uses another let to ocde assembly country, and then two letters to code date:

if your serial is KGCG2297 this one gets a little complicated. but still easy once you learn the code to it.

the first letter is who made the frame itself, in this case it would be "Kenisis", an overseas company.this could be replaced by another letter but at least we know what that one is there for.

next is the letter "G"..this isnt always there, but if so, this is where it was assembled, (ever notice the built in usa sticker on your gt or dyno?) this is what that letter is there for. it wasnt made here, but was built here.

next is the letter "C"..C is the 3rd letter in the alphabet, and march is the 3rd month, so march is the build month.

next is the letter "G" this is the year. G is the 7th letter in the alphabet, so this would be a 1987.

If the frame number is American style, then you have a Zaskar - because all Panteras were Taiwanese made. But if the serial number is Taiwanese style then ou MAY have a Zaskar - you need to work out the date from the code and see if it is after the date (2000???) that Zaskar frames started to be built in Taiwan. That's if you count Taiwanese Zaskars as the real thing - there's a change in tubing, at least in name.

5. If there is no serial number, the bike is probably a Zaskar, because no one has recorded a Pantera with no serial number (???)

Questions:

- Is there anywhere you can look for a 7001 stamp on a Pantera?

- Were Taiwanese Zaskars built of a proprietary (columbus?) tubing that would have had its own stamp instead of 6061?

- Do Taiwanese Zaskars count as Zaskars?

Notes:

- Spankys serial number = yes, 91 Zaskar!

There is no difference for 'LE' badged frames up to at least 1996 (I didnt bother with research after that, I've only had '93 to '97 models). It was just component choice, mine was an LE but came with XT and MAG21 from the shop.

As for straight leg forks, they dont look too bad...

Reynolds forks:

file.php

Heres another I made a while ago with big daft steel forks:

definitely_no_yellow_105.jpg

Back