Can you tell me if this frame is a Cinelli super corse?

Good evening Chaps,

Ive just measured the seat clamp and it is 26.2 mm, ive uploaded some more pictures of the frame below, ive noticed another hole on the none drive side of the bb?

P1050877.jpg

P1050880.jpg

P1050882.jpg

P1050883.jpg

P1050885.jpg

P1050886.jpg

P1050888.jpg

P1050889.jpg

Neil

Good question, and the answer is: By the time the three hole lug started they were likely all Columbus, however early Cinellis, like yours, could be made of either. Not sure how you could test it other than looking for markings particularly on the fork steerer tube...

Don't believe one is superior really, it more comes down to personal preference, some say that 531 is lighter but Columbus gives a better ride. For me my favorite bikes seem to be made of Columbus particularly SL, but I favor Italian bikes so they are more likely to be made with an Italian tube set. As far as markings go later Columbus tubes had the bird logo on them, but I don't know about older ones. Just play sleuth and see what you can find.

I would say positively Cinelli Super CorsA. Cinelli suppied very neat metal mudguards. I sold a number of these imported by Ron Kitching. The 74mm bottom bracket width always caused a problem, Because in the 50's early 60's we were using mainly 49D cranks and TA rings, as well as the then new Campagnolo. It was not possible to get an axle for these so we used to cut 3mm off each side. Obviously this is not one I supplied.
Keith

Forgot, These had butted 531 main tubes, probably late 1950's.
They also had a small sleeve brazed inside the seat lug to bring it down to 26.2.

On the subject of one being superior to the other, there was an American article a good few years ago now where they built identical frames out of different tubing, had the same kit fitted and had people ride them...............can't remember the exact results but there was little difference.

Must look it up, been on here a couple of times in various threads.

Shaun

Shaun, I believe it implied they could not feel the difference, but it was an American thing.
We have people on here who can't feel the difference between a class hand built lightweight and a mass produced heavyweight Raleigh Carlton.
I would doubt Reynolds made the large crimped chainstays in the Cinelli.
Keith

Does anybody have any idea on the value of this frame if it was sold as just the frame and forks.... no components would be nice to find out
Neil

Back