Armstrong 1953 Restored FIRST RIDE Page 7

Re: Armstrong 1953? Restoration Help/Advice/Abuse Please

I've only just come across this thread, since I don't often venture into the road section.

I really like that frame. I've been tempted by Armstrongs a couple of times when I've seen them for sale, but I really want one with the "ARMSTRONG" chain ring.

I'm looking forward to seeing the pics when you finish building it.

I now have slightly oily buttocks. Have to say remarkably comfortable and has shaped to the shape of my good self. 10 miles of rigid of mainly off road did the trick.

I wonder how long it will sweat out the oil for?

Have also ground down a gear cable barrel to fit the tiny recess in the simplex shifter.

Silver/grey cables and maroon tape I think. No hoods. But anything can happen in he next half hour!

Sourced some large and small cable clips that need cleaning on arrival. Could I use same 5mm brake cable for gears? Having trouble finding it to match the one I like.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 541

Well the cleaning is finished. Now waiting for about a dozen parcels of mostly small but essential parts before I can continue............. :(

Best way to avoid neetsfoot bum is to get a leather dressing to polish and seal the top surface.

There are loads of them out there but we use Renapur on all our tack, saddles and riding boots. Don't pay full price for it, just look around the bay or at any local horse shows / game fairs.

The resto is looking amazing, I can't wait to meet up for a road ride.

Can you suggest or bring a small amount of something in a suitable receptacle should you have any? Leaving at 9.

I bet you're sitting by the front door checking the clock every five minute :mrgreen:

I'll see what the wife will let me blag, as the horsey stuff is her dept. and you don't nick it... not if you know what's good for you you don't. :shock:

9.00am! You may be a little early, and Kt is always late.

See you in a bit.

There is a marque enthusiast for Armstrong in the Veteran Cycle Club who can probably give you some info. Bob Morris at morrisrm238@tiscali.co.uk
I own a 1960's Armstrong which is a Raleigh built one and has been resprayed by Atlantic Boulevard, and a 1950's Armstrong Consort which is being prepared for respraying.

Thanks for that. Will mail him a link to this thread presently.

cotterpin":vn5j04qu said:
There is a marque enthusiast for Armstrong in the Veteran Cycle Club who can probably give you some info. Bob Morris at morrisrm238@tiscali.co.uk
I own a 1960's Armstrong which is a Raleigh built one and has been resprayed by Atlantic Boulevard, and a 1950's Armstrong Consort which is being prepared for respraying.

Bob. Was very helpful sending me the original pricelist etc. He also suggests this is an early 50s Moth.

Bars, brakes, crank, pedals and gears fitted, just waiting for a chain. Not happy with cabling at resent. Needs more clips. Once assembled and adjusted the last thing will be the bar tape. Shell keyring is back on. :)

Oh and 27.2 post was a tight fit. Thanks to Keithglos for the advice.

Back