Dawes Galaxy (c.1978) Final Photo (13/09/13)

Re: Dawes Galaxy (late 70s?)

the saddle and the bar's look so comfy . I like the colour .a nice alternative to green ,which must be the most common but equally unobtrusive . It looks really friendly and inviting, some times i wish i did not need a vehicle and just had something simple yet understated like a galaxy. I would not care , i would time trial on it as well as pop down the shops on it .

Rear brake caliper is stamped 1 77 so dates bike to some time after Jan 1977

I wouldn't change anything on the bike apart from the red tape on the brake levers.
Also I wouldn't dismiss the forks to quickly, look at the rear dropout chain/seat stays area chromed, colour coordinated rack as well.

Can't you hear the bike talking :shock:

I owned one just like that. The forks are original the chainset is not, I think it should be Sugino/Sakae/SR but cant remember exactly, dont think the bars are either as they should be a randoneur style bar as seen on the other thread regarding the 83 Galaxy, they should have a slight upsweep. Shifters, front and rear mech, hubs, stem, mudguards, rack all look original, front brake not but rear brake yes. Brake levers should be Weinman aswell with suicide levers and quick release.

What size is it, I'm rubbish at guesstimating road bike sizes ?

Either way I'm jealous, its the one bike I really regret selling on.

Looks like a 57cm frame to me.

I agree the brakes should both be Weinmann Vainqueurs, regards levers I've seen a fair few of these equipped with Weinmann levers with the safety extensions. The stem definitely looks like its been swapped out for a shorter later one. The post would look nicer is replaced with an alloy item. Hard to tell if it's just paint loss to fork as it should be half chrome half paint IIRC - do they have the little holes for safety washers? Mine did, so clearly they were replacements. I'd have thought the hubs would have been Maillard or possibly Pelissier originally.

If OP is interested I have a few few components from my old '77 Galaxy at the moment (TA Specialities chainset 48/36 with BB, complete Weinmann brakeset and lovely GB Randonneur bar & matching quill stem). They may not have been OE, but they would suit it nicely :)

I agree on the half painted forks, never seen fully chromed on a Galaxy. I have a late 70s Galaxy which is all original, I can post some pics for reference if you want to make some comparisons?

I just zoomed in on the pic, they're definitely not original, they are exactly the same set I have here with the little slots for safety washers... still look the part mind!

Agreed forks are not original but are in keeping with original, mine were half painted now its mentioned.

As everyone suspected the forks are replacement "made in Taiwan" . It seems that the bike may have been crashed at some time given all the replacement parts on the front end. I've given the frame a good check and it looks straight without any creases around the headstock. The paint is really thin and chipped and scratched however as it's brown it doesn't look quite as bad as maybe another colour would.

I'm going to spend as little on this as I can so a paint job is not in the plans. I'll replace the stem with a longer one from the parts bin and get proper brake levers and new tape.
I've also got a triple chainset that looks period so I'll see if I can get that on.

I remember anoth nice wee feature mine had. The bar end caps were white and each contained a spare lightbulb for the lightset.

Back