99 Raleigh M-Trax Pro-line 200 - a pleasant surprise

gerryattrick

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I picked this bike up in a rough state on Gumtree thinking I could service it, sell it on and make some money. Now it's finished and I've been on a ride on it it's much better than I thought and I'll keep it and use it this summer instead.

Almost original, with some good kit, but I swapped the SRAM composite RD for an old X9 I had in the shed and the Suntour chainset with missing teeth for a Truvativ. The shifting is great, even with the Gripshift.

It makes me wonder where it all went wrong with Raleigh on the MTB scene when their SPD could come up with such good bikes as the Dynatech & M-Trax ranges.

Attachments

• Raleigh M-Trax Proline2.jpg
    Raleigh M-Trax Proline2.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 1,892
  • Raleigh M-Trax Proline1.jpg
    Raleigh M-Trax Proline1.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 1,893
Yeah, I am ashamed to say I ignored Raleigh for "cooler" brands in the late 90s when I was really into bikes the first time, but now have an appreciation for them. This looks ace.

Only downside on these Raleighs I think are the graphics/decals. Look cheap/boring in my opinion.

Those forks are a little pogo-ish though aren't they? Or is that my hazy memory?

You've got a point with the graphics. RSP should have differentiated from the basic Raleighs by using a more modern or distinctive font or style that appealed to youngsters rather than their parents.
The fork, original kit, seems good, not a great deal of movement or overly bouncy, but fine for light off-road use.

At the time 1998-2000 the bikes all got fantastic reviews but were constantly marked down for their looks. I think the fact that they were Raleighs didn't help. They could have brought out a "new" brand and avoided the Raleigh links. I remember my friends would rather not ride than be seen on a Raleigh, I bought a Lavadome (Which I still have and love) over a Raleigh (which had much better spec) purely because the Kona was a Kona and the Raleigh was a Raleigh.

It all went wrong 10 years prior to that. Their patronising attitude and subsequent late and half-arsed entry to the MTB market did their image irreparable damage.

I picked one of these up recently too - looks like its going to be my new commuter, was really impressed!

I picked up an M-Trax 250 a while back and my intention, like gerryattrick was to clean it up and sell it on. To my surprise I found it light and very nimble. Was also comfortable on a 30 mile xc route.
Unfortunately it was just too wee for me so I did eventually sell it on.
But definately under rated bikes.

Re:

Just picked up a 200 all ariginal apart from the pedals pretty good condition can't believe I got it for 22 pounds a lot of people don't know what these are

Re:

Tymart":270q3ecq said:
Just picked up a 200 all ariginal apart from the pedals pretty good condition can't believe I got it for 22 pounds a lot of people don't know what these are

I was watching that one, good buy for £22! If it wasn't so far away it would of been a nice addition to the 250 I've got.

Back