how to spot shill bidding?

It was relevant, and therefore worthwhile. Sorry to hear that the weight of your crystal ball prevented you from making this observation before the identity of the bidder was revealed.

As you were, although a bit more timely if you don't mind.

Well I do mind.

Shill bidding or not, the OP's top bid wasn't enough to win the bike in a fair auction as another legit bidder had bid £7 more.

The only way he was going to win the bike was if he contacted the seller and tried to convince him to pull the auction early, but that's not really deemed acceptable is it... Oh hang on.

Man: Ah. I'd like to have an argument, please.

Receptionist: Certainly sir. Have you been here before?

Man: No, I haven't, this is my first time.

Receptionist: I see. Well, do you want to have just one argument, or were you thinking of taking a course?

Man: Well, what is the cost?

Receptionist: Well, It's one pound for a five minute argument, but only eight pounds for a course of ten.

Man: Well, I think it would be best if I perhaps started off with just the one and then see how it goes.

Receptionist: Fine. Well, I'll see who's free at the moment.

Man: An argument isn't just contradiction.

Mr. Vibrating: It can be.

Man: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.

Mr. Vibrating: No it isn't.

Man: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.

Mr. Vibrating: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.

Man: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'

Mr. Vibrating: Yes it is!

Man: No it isn't!

Man: Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of any statement the other person makes.

There are 6 different definitions or meanings to 'contradiction', and the automatic gainsaying of any statement made by another is not one of them.

Now, as you were.

You say black I say white
You say bark I say bite
You say shark I say hey man
Jaws was never my scene
And I don't like Star Wars

just got an email, apparently the guy turned up unannounced to collect the bike.

oh well.

good to know it wasn't a shill bid in the end though, just seemed really dodgy to me because i've seen similar in the past when the shill bidder goes one bid too far then conveniently drops out or cancels the bid then the seller emails the next 'highest' bidder.

but hey ho, another will turn up at somepoint.

Russell":eoyqh9ud said:
another legit bidder had bid £7 more

Unless you try really hard, you surely cannot miss the point that the £82 bid was from an unknown source, (and was the remaining bid I was commenting could have been shill). That is the 'legit bidder' who bid £7 more, a baseless assumption on your part.

Unless you are that bidder, (and just collected the bike after making no contact with the seller), or you are in possession of a time machine.

Back