Possible vintage Claud butler 'bilaminates' frame

legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
now, ignore the ebay advert, I'm not after bids, but just visit to see if one of my previous tip finds has unearthed a frame over 50 years old....?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0224812651

This has got to be the most exciting tip find ever for me as the history and just the age of this thing stuns me - it was only retired last year after commuting! it had tri bars on it FFS! :D

I really fancy restoring it just to see how it rides - such thin walled tubing!

anyway - I would value you opinions at least.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
CB?

Do you reckon its worth restoring? I mean, with stripping the paint back and de-rusting, do you think the tubing would take it?

I had one and it crumpled. During the last 10 years it suffered from internal corrosion - there were rattly bits inside that refused to come out no matter what I did.

It wasn't particularly light either but it had a different single-crown fork. It made a good track bike but the absence of chain-adjusters was a pain.

Anyway - all the best, I think it might have seen its day though.

I reckon that's a good price for it. My neighbour has a '51 model which the local 'experts' (bike jumble stallholders etc.) have valued at £15-20. Trouble is it's only a 22" at most so much to small for me.

Anyone interested?

Old Ned":3usoi1g0 said:
I reckon that's a good price for it. My neighbour has a '51 model which the local 'experts' (bike jumble stallholders etc.) have valued at £15-20. Trouble is it's only a 22" at most so much to small for me.

Anyone interested?

He's just given it to me as he was tripping over it in his garage. It'll need quite a bit of TLC (and money!) to get it going again. I'll need a lot of 50's stuff (Simplex TDF or Benelux gears, Williams chainset - or TA?, Brooks saddle etc.) and a period respray. Oh, and I think the seatpin and stem are really well stuck in! Pity really as the stem and bars are original early GB. Already has early GB Hiduminium brake stirrups and levers - and the wheels are completely shot!

Even after all that it'll still be to small :cry:

Back