PSA re Shiny Bikes - RESOLUTION p4

Re: Non-delivery from an online shop - thoughts?

Update - returned home this evening to a voicemail message from seller (hooray, first contact since 12th May!) to ask what I wanted to do as the order was back with them.

I have now confirmed in writing that I want to cancel the order (8 days after verbally confirming and agreeing a refund but thanks to Tad's link I understand that they don't have to honour such a verbal agreement - I didn't know this but bet they did. Actually, perhaps not given shambles to date).

The sorry tale continues.....

bunny.gif

ededwards":30xsdik3 said:
Update - returned home this evening to a voicemail message from seller (hooray, first contact since 12th May!) to ask what I wanted to do as the order was back with them.

I have now confirmed in writing that I want to cancel the order (8 days after verbally confirming and agreeing a refund but thanks to Tad's link I understand that they don't have to honour such a verbal agreement - I didn't know this but bet they did. Actually, perhaps not given shambles to date).

The sorry tale continues.....
are we on page 4 yet?

Not hard to join the dots. Nice site though.

"Where an item has been specially ordered for a customer and the item is then returned either for a refund or an exchange, a stock in fee of 20% of the value of the item will be applied."

From their Returns Policy.

Is this going to be the next hurdle? I sincerely hope not!

I read a long time ago that if you pay for anything via PayPal is to make a claim if there is a problem then only deal through PayPal from there on. Then they have a record of any conversations between you and the retailer. If you start phoning up or sending emails then there may be things said which you can't prove to PayPal (eg "I want to cancel the order"). If the retailer decides not to do anything because they ignore emails or anything then that's their problem - you'll get your money back. Then it's their problem if they decide to send you a package anyway.

RESOLUTION

I have just received an e-mail from Paypal that they have found in my favour - I've checked and the transaction has been reversed. Good job as had a phone message from Shiny Bikes yesterday to say that they had the order back with them for over a week (not true as only delivered on 14th but will let that slide for now) so obviously cancelling verbally and via e-mail and letter hadn't filtered through.

Learning from the experience? As Xavier says in an earlier post, a minute of Googling would have revealed all if I hadn't been greedily seduced by a cheap price. And it really would have only taken a few minutes as it's clear that my experience is not unique (I Googled about 10 days after my order which prompted my first e-mail and subsequent phone call):

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... p=16726840
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/compon ... 73452.html
http://road.cc/content/forum/57421-unshiny-bike

Just to note that I haven't carefully selected these, they are just the first three reviews when typing 'Shiny Bikes review' into Google and they also cover a period of several years so doesn't look like things have changed over time. To be fair, they appear to usually come through in the end, issues of partial refunds aside.

The biggest irony is that I first enquired via my LBS and they advised that they couldn't guarantee a delivery date on the groupset within a month and suggested that I buy online and they'd be happy to fit! They have sourced the groupset, price matched to the Shiny Bikes offer and it arrived with them, in proper boxes (so no grey imports), the day after they ordered it so the only thing waiting for the build is my mate's custom Burls Ti - he better not bloody drop me on it's first outing!

Re:

Oh my goodness, you sure dodged a bullet there.

Basically don't trust anything with shiny/bling/polished/glittery in the name

Latest posts

Back