no more Yeti ARC?

RobMac":1x0rxjou said:
Is the apparent demise of the 26" wheel customer or manufacturer led?

According to Santa Cruz its customer led. They say that they've had loads of requests for them.

It is a very simple business and it is about selling new bikes, the "re-cycling" that goes on here is of little consequence to the general industry. If we all went to the shop and ordered our new 26" bikes surely they would make them? I read on the Santa Cruz blog that their Tallboy 29er model outsold all the other models combined. And SC was late to the USA big wheel party as it was.

I'm guilty as charged BTW, I ride both sizes and love my 29ers, for my size and the riding I do they are truly fantastic. YMMV

But 26" frames will always be available, just like a small fraction of the community of steel frame builders has survived. Yes the industry moved to aluminium and now carbon, volume manufacturers cut steel from their line-ups completely. But what would you know, compared to 10 years ago steel hardtails are back, and their numbers and variety are increasing lately. Well designed frames are now available at many pricepoints from 140 squids mailorder right up to full custom dream bikes.

Enjoy!!

I'll just wait and see, but my prediction is that in the next few years, 29ers will be the way of 26ers and it will be 27.5 everywhere. (of course I could be wrong, we'll see).
What I have also noticed, and this is just my experience, but the peopel that seem to be hard core 29er peopekl around here are fairly new to mtbing (say 5 or so years), are VERY fit, have no comprehension of what a 26er HT is as they started on a FS bike and have discovered thsi HT thing in the form of a 29er, they can go just as fast as on their FS bike, but it is lighter and "rolls better" and they don't even need FS to tackle the trails, not understanding that they didn't need a FS bike in the first place to ride these trails they could have ridden on a rigid if they had taken the trouble to try.

Anyway, maybe thats not everyone, but it seems to be the way things go in these parts.

Seems like no more new 26" bikes although both Cotic and Boardman are staying with them. On stw there is a wheel size discussion nearly every day.

Recent reviews seem to say there is hardly any difference between 26" and 27.5" wheels. Personally for me it seems to be a case of the industry wanting to come up with something new to sell to us. I can understand 29" but this is a bit crazy.

My Cotic Soul and Kona Kilauea are great bikes and wont be getting rid for the sake of a slightly bigger wheel that may not make any difference.

The 29er thing happened guide gradually, most thought the early pioneers were a bit odd but gradually it gained a foothold and became more popular. Geometry got better and people realised that there was a benefit and it moved from niche brands only to the likes of Specialized. But the 650b thing is being pushed by the industry, especially by those who were late with a big wheeler.

Having seen a Bronson in the flesh its hard to tell that it has bigger wheels, especially against a 26er with chunky tyres. I'm sure that the difference is so minimal that there won't be much difference especially for you average weekend warrior. I'm sticking with my 26er for now because it suits me being able to swap wheels and tyres between my various MTB's. it's going to be a nightmare for shops.

My ex wife had her bike stolen recently and when she went to buy a replacement when the insurance money the shop did a big hard sell on pushing her towards a 29er. She told them she just wanted a disc brake version of the stolen bike (Specialized Rockhopper) but they were putting all their effort into convincing her she needed a 29er.

We don't talk often but she was so baffled she phoned me to get reassurance she was dong the right thing turning it down.

Don't know where you guys got that 26" thing from. When I said "obsolete design", I was thinking about that bend at the rear.

:LOL:

Mindmap3":3j96xj9l said:
RobMac":3j96xj9l said:
Is the apparent demise of the 26" wheel customer or manufacturer led?

According to Santa Cruz its customer led. They say that they've had loads of requests for them.

60% of santa cruz sales are 29er tallboy.

jimo746":2o0vzft7 said:
02gf74":2o0vzft7 said:
Rover no longer make the mini metro. get over it! :D

what!!?? when did that happen???
about the Yeti... don't tell me they're doing it in 29" only or something daft like that????
the smaller size arc carbon uses 650b wheels & the rest of the larger size use 29er.

chris conroy yeti owner was at the recent yetitribe UK meet in church stretton. the 26in wheeled alu yeti arc isnt made anymore, purely as they accounted for such a small amount of sales.

Back