Silly Stem Question.

Iwasgoodonce

Old School Grand Master
Time to admit it. I need a shorter stem on the fixed. So my silly question is this.

How are stems measured? Is it from the centre of the quill bolt to the centre of the bars? Or, is it from the bolt centre to the end of the stem?

My current one measures 160mm centre to end.

Thanks.

I always assumed that it was from the centre of the top quill bolt to the centre of the bars.......... Going to have to measure one tomorrow :)

Blimey, 16cm...............can you rest your face on the top tube :)

Shaun

Midlife":j1axbiku said:
I always assumed that it was from the centre of the top quill bolt to the centre of the bars.......... Going to have to measure one tomorrow :)

Blimey, 16cm...............can you rest your face on the top tube :)

Shaun

Thanks Shaun. Believe it or not the bike is about right for length. I think the levers are too low on the bars. The bars also seem quite a deep drop. The main problem is fubared shoulders.

I didn't want to buy a stem that would end up way too short or so close to the old one it would make no difference. I assumed it would be measured as you seem to think it is, so that's good enough for me.

Off the the wanted section!

Frozen shoulder / rotator cuff problems ? Tell me about it :( I spend my time "on the tops"......

Too short a stem and the elbows start to ache........is it a period build? how about stem with less of a downward angle?

Shaun

I always thought it was centre to centre.

Correct stem length means when you're on the hoods the (handle)bar obscures the (wheel)hub - I'm sure it's on the hoods and not the tops!

Suppose I could always sit on a bike and check as that's how mine were always set up - mind you I was younger then!

Rk.

Here's the bike in question. Stem is 150mm measured C to C. I must admit, I'm having a blast riding it since it was geared up a bit. I do 20 ish miles twice or three times a week or so. It is the same workout as a longer ride on the geared bike gives.

Thanks for your responses.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 396
Stem length is always centre of the bolt to centre of the bars, so if it measures 160 end to end then it's probably 130-ish.

Correct stem length has absolutely nothing at all to do with the bars and hub lining up - it has to do with finding the position that's comfortable for you to ride in!

I'll check that ITM later on today!

Nice track bike :)

Always a bit tricky finding a nice position if the wheelbase is short and the frame is pretty upright. My Falcon Track bike was esentially the same as that rode by Nigel Dean in the Skoll 6. Couldn't use that now :(

I've got a 130mm set aside for my Carlton build.....

Good luck in finging one :)

Shaun

That is a mega stem! Normally, a long quill stem is about 100mm c-to-c and a short one is 40mm.

That looks to be about a 56cm (22.5") frame. Just for a guide, I'm about 5'10 and my 56cm frame is just slightly too long for me with a 70mm stem, taking into account I have long legs and a short body.

Also - check you get the right clamp diameter for the bars.

Back