90's components: Headset sorted, now, what about some levers

NeilM

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I'm going to fit canti's to my 90's build Caygill, so I want some nice levers.

I usually use Avid or Shimano M600 on most of my bikes, so the typical types of levers associated with canti's just look big and ugly to me.

Any suggestions for something black / silver and that has a bit of style to it.

Re: 90's components: Headset sorted, now, what about some le

x-lite are skinny, British and available in loads of colours.

NeilM":1n8vu7d4 said:
I'm going to fit canti's to my 90's build Caygill, so I want some nice levers.

I usually use Avid or Shimano M600 on most of my bikes, so the typical types of levers associated with canti's just look big and ugly to me.

Any suggestions for something black / silver and that has a bit of style to it.

Sorry no clue to the levers, but any pics of the Caygill yet?

Alison

Ah yes, Chicken Sticks, I'd forgotten about them, thanks.

Alison; jinjrich started a thread which I have added to. I should be applying the decals today, and as soon as the headset arrives, I can get it up in its wheels.

Linky: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=243910

M600 and their ilk are horrible levers on the old fingers in my opinion. But that is opinion... Even the newer m571, I fitted a set took them off they are still in the jiffy bag after after 3 or 4 Years.

But compact lever would be diacompe ss5.
top the retro-er version, newer mkII version at the bottom (fmj's pics)
1162edfc.jpg

I'm hugely offended by your remarks, as I think M600 levers are great. :mrgreen:

Set up with some decent V-Brakes, I like adjusting them so that one and two finger is all that's required, but as you say, each to their own.

Those SS5's look good, I think I spotted a slightly tatty pair on the bay, but didn't know if they were any good.

Bizarrely, I was riding (a lot) back in the early 90's, but I really have no recollection of the components we used, although I must have been all over the mags, as I badgered my poor LBS to open accounts with the likes of Hope, Pace and X-Lite just so I could get bits for my bikes. Old age eh?

Good shout on the ss5, I had some of the older ones (with the coating on the blades) and they were pretty light and comfy.

The paint came off a bit easily though so I polished them, came out a treat!

The chicken sticks I had were great but didn't feel as sturdy as the ss5.

If I'm not mistaken the lower ones in FluffyChicken's photo are the blue/grey coloured ones that are badged up as Coda. They tend to come up a bit cheaper than the SS5 (I've bought two pairs for around the tenner mark IIRC) and the Coda writing comes off easily with the rough side of the washing up sponge :D .

Weren't they the ones that xlite did extra machining on to turn them into chicken stix?

secret_squirrel":6ielpfry said:
Weren't they the ones that xlite did extra machining on to turn them into chicken stix?

If you google "x-lite chicken stix" like I had to because I don't own any to compare, you'll see they're a different lever from the mk2 SS5 or Coda lever. I can see the similarities that you might be refering to though.

Back