Cracked frame or just a cosmetic defect?

ultrazenith

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi all,

Today I was having a look at my 1993 M Trax 400, with a view to deciding whether it would be worth restoring / rebuilding it. Aside from plenty of rust on the steel tubes, I noted a number of raised ripples in/under the paint. I'm pretty sure they weren't there last time I used this frame (1997), and they don't look like cracks in the frame (to my naive eyes), so I'd like to ask here (if it's not too off-topic) if any of the seasoned retro-bikers have ever encountered these features, and what they are (and what they mean). To help, I've uploaded a photo of one of the ripples, which is found on the (steel) seat tube. Any advice would be much appreciated by this novice retorbiker.

Attachments

• 20130621_200402-1.jpg
    20130621_200402-1.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 643
I have a bike like it that was stored in a leaking shed for 10 years. It's got it quite bad. I'm not worried about it though!

Rampage":3tof9n9o said:
I have a bike like it that was stored in a leaking shed for 10 years. It's got it quite bad. I'm not worried about it though!

Same in this case - leaky / damp corner of the shed. Luckily the forks were stored separately in a dry part inside a box, and have no rust whatsoever. The seat post is extremely rusted - I now know it is a steel one...

Should this frame rust be treated at some point?

My Scott has it all over the frame. It's like a 3D splatter paintjob. Not that worried about it either, the big spots that are entirely paint-free bother me more.

Rub it down and repaint it

'Worming' and blistering in paint is bad news because moisture will get in there and pretty much remain there hugged right up next to the metal, under the paint, safely protected from evaporation or a swipe with an oily rag

I'll be my hat there's nothing serious under there yet though

Back