2012 Nukeproof Mega

Re: 2012 Nukeproof Mega *work in progress*

Mindmap3":3ncb9zps said:
Isn't the Ms Ilse dinky though?

It might be just down to being more stretched out than you're used to was what I meant.

MsIsle is 16" Mega is 17" or 17.5" I think... So not a huge deal in it. I'm gonna try moving the saddle forward a tad first.

The Orange has probably got quite a short top tube. The Mega also has a very steep seat tube which shunts your weight forward to prevent the bike wandering on the climbs due to the slack head angle.

Deffo need to get some higher bars on this!... As its killing my back after a couple of hours in the saddle!..... My azonics were 2" rise, these are 0.5" and the old stem was 70mm long with a 10 degree rise, the new one is 50mm and has no rise! That's quite a lot lower than it was previously!

I'm looking at the Renthal Fat bars, with a 38mm rise, possibly the duo stem to match and have a bit more rise as well but it's a bit ugly?

I'm also not sure about the gold colour of the renthals, it's not really gold is it? More like a bright beige..... So really unsure about that!

The other option I was considering was some black bars, possibly the nukeproof 'Sam hill edition' and then buy the gold dress up kit for the Thomson stem.

I also want to change the tyres, in my bid to get rid of the weight/width of the 2.5 maxxis highrollers I went too small with the panaracers... They look tiny in the frame and they also seem a bit skittish compared to the maxxis...
I'm thinking of going for a maxxis minion dhf both front and rear (not the Dhr) with a 60a on the back and a 42a compound on the front.
But the old Hans Dampf thing keeps popping up in my mind, they are about £25 each on CRC at the mo for the non trail star/pace star compounds, so a little undecided at the moment!

Cassette really needs changing too, want to get an 11-34 XT cassette, and I've found the mode converter for the mech so I can do so! Just dreading taking the old cassette of the pro2 hub body :(

The Renthal bars are a really nice shape but I think the colour is gopping! I'm a big fan of my Answer bars but have the higher rise on my SX. The Easton bars get good reviews too and I used to love the shape of my old Monkey Bars.

I'm a big fan of my Hans Dampf's; they're huge compared to my 2.35 High Rollers they replaced and are a bit lighter too. I run the a Trail Star on the front and a Pace Star on the rear. I picked the pair up from Bike Discount for fifty six quid. I can't vouch for the other version that CRC have but the ones I have have been excellent so far. The front grips really well as does the rear and they were super easy to set up tubeless too.

New bars fitted today! After looking for what seems like an age, I decided on the Spank Spike 777 evos, with a 30mm rise in glass black!

I also bought a dress up kit for the thomson stem, so it brings the gold theme back in, without being as 'in your face' as the gold bars!

55A89159-C79A-430B-98C0-C05F716B7424-14251-00000507691BF960.jpg

Old & new
D54A86B1-87D0-40D5-A020-18C0F016FC4D-14251-00000507708912A7.jpg

All fitted! Looking much more classy! And feels loads nice already with the higher rise!

68F029D0-7B78-4D07-860E-AC5B36DC4AA5-14251-00000507760ED71C.jpg

F61D63FF-9352-4495-975C-EB235B0A05F8-14251-000005077B597A7E.jpg

87D977FF-5A8B-46A9-8741-8FC808626464-14251-0000050784D72239.jpg

Unfortunately, on my last check that all the bolts were tight, I ripped the threads clean out of the thomson stem steerer clamp (top one) I must have just been too ham fisted!
Expensive mistake! New stem ordered! :(

Looking good buddy. Spank are making some really good stuff at the moment. When is the first ride out on the new bars?

The Thomson stem doesn't need much torque looking at the marking on them. I don't use a torque wrench on mi e but try not to get too carried away...although with a 3mm allen key its hard to crank them up too much!

4mm! I was using my 4mm Allen key socket on my ratchet... Like an idiot!

Was going to be out on Sunday, but only have one pinch bolt doing its job, so unsure if I should be riding it really!

Have you had it a while? I think the older ones had 4mm heads which then got reduced to 3mm because across the range of stems people were cranking the bolts up so tight that the face plates cracked.

I think the weather is going to be a bit rubbish this weekend so you might not miss out on too much. It's annoying when stuff like this happens and ends up costing money.

I bought it second hand off here for £35 I think!

Merlin are doing them new now for £49 so I just went for one of them! Some people are asking more than that on eBay!

That's a really good price. I was watching a few on eBay for my BFe that went for not far off that. I love Thomson stuff, its so nice.

Back