What years this GT Zaskar

They did drop the U for 1993 along with changing the design of the decals and the addition on colours to the Zaskar range :)

paddy311":215sm40u said:
edit: The frame you're interested in looks totally identical to mine, so I'd say it's definitely a Zaskar.

This only means anything at all if you are completely sure that no Pantera from any year would look identical to your Zaskar. I have a Zaskar a few feet away from me, and I can't tell the bloody difference between it and a Pantera from web photos! Unless there is a specific feature you can point to and say "That was never on a Pantera" I don't you are giving safe advice.

To the OP: Why not just ask the seller if the 6061 stamp is there? If it is, you're safe. If not, you can try getting a model id from the frame number using this

http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/info/122/

- I emphasize "try" as the guide is for BMXs!

PurpleFrog":ewrwzjqg said:
This only means anything at all if you are completely sure that no Pantera from any year would look identical to your Zaskar. I have a Zaskar a few feet away from me, and I can't tell the bloody difference between it and a Pantera from web photos! Unless there is a specific feature you can point to and say "That was never on a Pantera" I don't you are giving safe advice.

To the OP: Why not just ask the seller if the 6061 stamp is there? If it is, you're safe. If not, you can try getting a model id from the frame number using this

http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/info/122/

- I emphasize "try" as the guide is for BMXs!

Just repeating what I was told when I asked a couple of months ago. The guys who identified my bike seemed to know their sh*t ;)

viewtopic.php?t=254181

I'd still say its 100 % real , no way would you get a 92 pantera ( Grey / red ) spend hours and hours polishing it , then buy some early style stickers but only fit the downtube ones and leave the rest off. It's more like the stickers have been removed over time as the bike has been cleaned and used over the years.

paddy311":hj6piqyp said:
Just repeating what I was told when I asked a couple of months ago. The guys who identified my bike seemed to know their sh*t ;)

viewtopic.php?t=254181

Those guys did not tell you "If your bike looks the same as your bike it is a Zaskar." Instead they gave a pretty detailed list of features - some of which were presented as definitive but are really only indicative. (I know because I just bought a Zaskar and I did a lot more research than reading that thread.) For example, the 92 and 93 Pantera had a flat end tube cap and came in ball burnished finish - is there anything you can point too on that frame to say it isn't one a re-stickered 92 Pantera? (See http://forums.mtbr.com/gt/zaskar-239498.html)

I think the logic about polishing the frame being more likely on a Zaskar is pretty good... but someone may really have liked their Pantera. Or maybe the seller has a polishing tool that lets him do the job in just a few minutes. In the OP's shoes I'd ask about,or look for, that 6061 stamp. If it isn't there, then unless I could ride the bike I'd be very cautious. But the Zaskar rides so well it shouts I AM FANTASTIC. (Admittedly I haven't ridden a Pantera - but if they're that good, you might as well buy one anyway..)

Reasonable proof of flat end cap Panteras! The owner identifies this a '92:

http://forums.mtbr.com/gt/zaskar-239498.html

DSC035821024x768.jpg

92 pantera only came in Gray and Red , i know this as i always wanted the Red and thought the grey looked cheap ( just missed a red one for sale for 45.00 and looked mint ) the 93 may have come in polished but would of had cantis fitted.

Antfox":d4t8nd9f said:
92 pantera only came in Gray and Red , i know this as i always wanted the Red and thought the grey looked cheap ( just missed a red one for sale for 45.00 and looked mint ) the 93 may have come in polished but would of had cantis fitted.

Ahh - that's much safer then! (I thought that 92 I posted *was* ball burnished, but now I know there was a grey it clearly is one.)

...Are we now at the stage where we can say that any ball burnished, u-brake, flat cap GT is a Zaskar???

Also, and more useful in general:

- Are the 92 and 93 Panteras the only flat endcap GTs?

- Does anyone know what finishes the 93s came in?

I might be inclined to say that the gusset below the top tube is a different shape to that on a zaskar, but that's pretty dull.

I'm out. ;)

Back