SIMPLON bike

rbike

Dirt Disciple
One guy is offering a Simplon hardtail bike for little more than 200eur. I only saw a photo, however it looks something from arround 1995. This guy bought it second hand three years ago and knows little/nothing about this bike (on the phone he could not explain wether is cromo or aluminium). I belive it is alu, since its back triangle is made from squared tubes. As I remember they were a classy bikes back then and they were offering some pretty light bikes.

What is your experience on used alu bikes? I was never fund of it, since so many guys had problems with cracking it. One good thing is that it has forks, so less stress was put on on the bike front side.

Is it wise to buy a third hand aluminium mountain bike?

I found some old Simplon catalogue from 1995 and compared it to the photo on internet, and bike looks very close to the one on the pictre below, geomtry is slightly different. I think the best thing would be to start the car and go and check, though is a little far away.

Attachments

• DSC02777.jpg
    DSC02777.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 1,194
I wouldn't worry too much about it being a third hand aluminium bike. Some manufacturers produced frames prone to cracking, but many others produced very robust frames - you don't see many cracked Zaskars. I don't know anything about the Simplon frames specifically mind, but if it's been through two owners and isn't cracked, that's a good sign.

Best bet would be to go and look at it - if it's quite far away, try to turn it into a day out to justify it!

Never heard of them before, but looks cool and it's a Euro bike

Buy it and get it on here! I love the unusual

What Hydorah said really. And I wouldn't worry too much about cracks. If it had a tendency to crack, it probably would have done so by now.

Dare to be different.

Looks similar ish to an Easton one I am watching - the pics you sent me says no though :/

Back