I prefer working on bikes than riding them - is that wrong??

Re: I prefer working on bikes than riding them - is that wro

Yes it's wrong!, bikes are for riding, although they all need a bit of attention now & then.
You need to address the ride/repair balance in your life, it's the bicycle ying/yang, ...without reapir there can be no riding, but without riding there can be no repair...

so to repair, first one must ride...

'prefer' is fine to me, as long as the finished bikes get ridden or passed on. Only my POV. I have bought and worked on mine and enjoyed it immensely but with a view to making them usable and each is ridden.

To me the two pursuits are totally different, one is an athletic endeavor, the other is mechanical/artistic/engineering. They satisfy completely different needs.

lewisfoto":1vxy9k3a said:
To me the two pursuits are totally different, one is an athletic endeavor, the other is mechanical/artistic/engineering. They satisfy completely different needs.

I agree in principle but you quite plainly haven't seen me on a bike! :oops: :facepalm: :roll: :LOL:

Is the debate build to ride or to admire or build to build?

lewisfoto":2ktcgvu7 said:

This. When the two come together and you build for a riding purpose (yourself or someone else) the satisfaction it's great. I've never considered a good cyclist to be strictly an excellent mechanic*, and a good mechanic
to be strictly an excellent cyclist**. Both pursuits can take there own course.

* at this point I could go in a rant about (some) famous cyclists sticking there names on bikes :roll:
** Hail the mechanic! My favorite bit of wrenching video from 1976 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ktTXjSq ... 95&index=1

maybe different, but if no one else impacted then why should you not do what you want, too many people in this world feel the need to mould things to their way of thinking and if others not affected then why ? a little empathy by everyone could go a long way, but easier said than done.

One feeds the other. The more time spent in the shed sipping tea, puffing my shag, listening to Radio 4 and generally wasting time quietly, the better fettle my bikes are in.

The better fettle the bikes at..in, the more and harder I can ride them.

The more and harder I ride them the more they need to be in the shed with me while I'm sipping tea...

The circle of life.

For a while, I've been meaning to change my sig to: "All the gear and no idea since 1992."

I'm a crap rider. I'm not very fit. I LOVE bikes. I love riding bikes, I love working on bikes. I love looking at bikes, and I love the function of bikes. I especially enjoy riding and fettling nice looking bikes.

I probably spend the same amount of time fiddling as I do riding.

Who cares?

If I wanted approval from people on a website about old bikes, I'd buy a Fat Chance... :LOL: :LOL: *runs and hides*

Back