Ah the school sports day

Kona lover":1wvz4oq4 said:
Going back to PE at school it should remain in the curriculum as its the only exercise some kids get as they are ferried to and from school.

I agree that a large percentage of children are overweight... however the only thing PE is ever going to do for them is put them off exercise for life!

ajm":30m40f4u said:
Kona lover":30m40f4u said:
Going back to PE at school it should remain in the curriculum as its the only exercise some kids get as they are ferried to and from school.

I agree that a large percentage of children are overweight... however the only thing PE is ever going to do for them is put them off exercise for life!

Don't think PE classes are as bad now as they were back in my day, we would play rugby in the middle of winter and badminton in the hot gym in the summer lol.
I don't think the PE teacher would get away with any bullying nowadays as the kids are to cocksure of themselves and could probably quip back with some remark. Also teachers of today can't man-handle the children or give them a clip around the ears/ruler/cane like in my day. (Or pieces of chalk or board rubber being thrown in your direction).

The good old days :facepalm:

ajm":3589tgpn said:
I never did understand why it was somehow acceptable for PE teachers to repeatedly, routinely humiliate particular pupils whose "abilities" were poor when teachers in any other subject would be up for disciplinary action if they did the same.

sadly not just PE teachers. We had an English teacher who would read best and worst essay out loud each week to the class emphasizing every spelling and punctuation mistake and "gasping for breath" at long sentences etc etc. I think these days there has been some fundamental changes and none of this type of behaviour would be tolerated, some advantages to teachers actually having to be assessed and bad teachers not being protected as much by NUT.

Personally, I don't have much against PE in school, really. I grew up, school wise, in the late 70s and 80s, and whilst for the most of it, I wasn't sporty at all, towards the latter end of my high-school time, I'd started lifting weights in a gym (outside of school) and working out in a boxing gym or other martial arts places.

From my experience, the sports teachers I knew, seemed to be more pleased about effort, more than anything. Sure, I've no doubt they had more appreciation of the golden boys and girls who were truly good at sport, but when I'd put in effort, they seemed to appreciate it, and from about the age of 15 onwards, seemed happy to let me use the weights at school during PE / games lessons - which suited everybody, and I think it showed that all they really wanted to see what some kind of effort, even if it didn't show much attainment.

The only time I ever saw a sports teacher use corporal punishment (the slipper) it was to a lad larking about whilst doing the high jump. And I think what had annoyed the teacher, being that this lad had some talent for it, but was too interested in playing the fool and being the class clown. At the time, I thought it a harsh overreaction - it almost certainly was - but I recognised why.

All that said, I have kids who go to school, and physical activity is important - not necessarily to the degree of being particularly good at a sport, but regularly getting exercise and being active - my ideal would be (I suppose like other academic subjects) some aspect of PE that sparks an interest or encourages them to do some physical activity that they enjoy and will sustain.

Railing against some of the "Anyone that believes it's about the taking part, has never won anything." rhetoric, because it misses the point and smacks of being entirely unthinking, that in many cases, it's not about the kids or what they want - in a lot of cases it's mostly about the parents. No doubt, there are some very real talents in certain sports that could really make it, and will make a go of it, that truly need encouraging from a point where they've shown some decent talent, that they want to pursue it, and have already put in a lot of effort. The reality, though? I suspect that's a vanishingly small contingent of the loud-mouthed, have-a-go-heros and over-competitive mums and dads, that get hoarse-voiced at school sporting events.

The vast majority of kids, still need to be kids - and yes, need activity in their life, and yes, competition isn't a dirty word. I'm far from convinced that as many that do, really need the brow-beating and screaming hysterics of parents, though, who seem more concerned about what's going on for their own ends, rather than their kids.

I played competitive football for 18 odd years from the age of 12.
I can still remember my mom encouraging me from the sideline. :facepalm:
Nothing more than a "Come on" every now and then. When my step son played football a couple of years back I stood silent and let the manager manage. I have seen parents berate/shout at their kids and just think poor kid.

All they need is the odd nod and a wink and to know you're watching and interested.

After all that I said about competition and it all being wrong, I must say you canny help being a little bit proud when they do well :oops:

My son got a certificate for the highest scoring boy in his year and a medal and trophy for being the highest scoring boy in KS2, I must say, although I was not as demonstrative as my son, was very pleased to be his parent :D

Alison

Back