OK so I'd better stop buying GTs - Rust help

MADJEZ

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I think this is my tenth (tho I haven't counted recently).
You know the drill, it was local/cheap/sounded a bargain.

Anyway on getting it collected frame is pretty rusty but I do like the splatter finish. Short
of a respray anyone got any ideas. I wondered if I could clearcoat over the rust as it has a certain
'steampunk' charm or would it just rot through.

P1120628_zpsb556b719.jpg

Looks great from a distance.
P1120627_zps4b3ea3c8.jpg

I'd have a go at polishing it with something like T-cut, G3, Brasso, whatever's-to-hand, and see if that's enough to remove the rust spots; they look minor from the pic?

If not, I'd be tempted to have a go with a rust converter, 'cause black spots might be more aesthetically pleasing than rust-coloured ones? ;) (And it'd put a lid on them coming back)

PC

Those marks look to me more like they've transferred from something else rather than being from under the paint? - if that's the case then polishing them out should work just fine :)

Just one thing though: Whenever I've set up U-brakes I've always crossed the straddle cable behind the seat tube to improve the mechanical advantage.

Elysarian":25vrgvmu said:
Those marks look to me more like they've transferred from something else rather than being from under the paint? - if that's the case then polishing them out should work just fine :)

Just one thing though: Whenever I've set up U-brakes I've always crossed the straddle cable behind the seat tube to improve the mechanical advantage.

Cheers will give it a go.

Well spotted on the brake, I've just cleaned it so far.
Sure its crossed on my Avalanche, that works great so will use as a reference.

yeah try and rub the rust off. it would be a shame to loose that original paintjob and graphics, which are very nice

It would be a real shame to lost that paintjob, I've got the same bike although its now used as my rad/commuter bike.

Back