Dawes Galaxy (c.1978) Final Photo (13/09/13)

Hawmaw

MacRetro Rider
I picked this up last night locally from ebay. As is often the case I probably paid too much but the seller seemed a nice guy and the money is going to help pay for medical treatment for his neice. He bought the bike 2nd hand in the early 80s and used it to commute about 5 miles to work. It's a bit of a state but there's the challange.

It's a bit of a mix and match. I don't think the fork is original and I suspect other parts may not be either.

Bars : SR Road Champion (OE?)
Brake Levers : BRS Blaze aero levers (Obviously modern replacements. Destined for the bin)
Rear caliper : Weinman Vainqueur
Front caliper : Formos (? Another replacement part)
Chainset : Solido (OE ? Not so sure)
Hubs : Campagnolo
Rims : Mavic 'E'
Front Mech : Suntour Compe V
Rear Mech : Suntour VX
Saddle : Milremo
QR Skewers : Campagnolo
Tyres : Schwalbe (modern replacements in good condition)

The left rear drop out is stamped AC967 with a number 5 on its own
Under the bottom bracket housing is stamped RH 11

The paintwork is poor and he decals are well worn. I compared the Reynolds decal to the ones on the H Lloyd database and it seems to be a sticker from '77-'82 and applied to bikes build with plain gauge tubing.

Re: Dawes Galaxy (late 70s?)

The 77-82 period sounds right, some of the components like the Suntour VX point to this period.

Eclectic mix of late 70 and early 80's there :D Mind the front wheel as the QR is open (not locked in place) !

Shaun

PS Not sure what treatment they would be paying for not available on the NHS.........

That looks to be a nice bike :D

Perhaps you could help me to understand why these old touring style bikes (I have a Carlton corsair) have rack, mudguard and centre pull brake mounts but no water bottle bosses?

Did everybody mount them on the bars back then?

Raleighracer":59wr2bv6 said:
That looks to be a nice bike :D

Perhaps you could help me to understand why these old touring style bikes (I have a Carlton corsair) have rack, mudguard and centre pull brake mounts but no water bottle bosses?

Did everybody mount them on the bars back then?

Probably a cost for extra braze ons...

.........because you carried your water, primus stove and tea in the panniers :)

Shaun

Midlife":3w1pi07b said:
Mind the front wheel as the QR is open (not locked in place) !

Shaun

PS Not sure what treatment they would be paying for not available on the NHS.........

Don't worry. That's the way it was when I picked it up. It'll be getting completely stripped and re-built before I ride it anywhere.

The fork may be original. I think the top half was painted with a silver band so it may just have been stripped.

That's nice.
It's in much better shape than my Galaxy (around '83 I think) when I picked it up.
I'm just about to post the first photo I took of it and how it looks in its newly powdercoated state.

Richard :D

I'd take a stab at it being a '78 frame - the rear brake is possibly the original and should have a date stamp the rear of the calipers... lovely frame!

Back