Ah the school sports day

Yes and a rocking motion from side to side rolling the spoon edge outward at each extreme so that centrifugal force holds the egg in place. Clever stuff but hard to explain to a small child or your average harrassed parent/adult :LOL:

Mini-me currently @ sports day - her indoors just texted to say he's doing "well" whatever that is!!!

C U nxt week Velo!! M.

Neil":11qk8xmq said:
Whilst I get the point, in the examples I've seen, it's been more about the parents and what they want, than what they want for their kids.
sadly I think this is often the case, people didn't achieve everything they wanted and transfer that to the kids.

Russell":11qk8xmq said:
Anyone that believes it's about the taking part, has never won anything.
I'm sorry but I think that's __________, insert expletive at will.

If that were true why would you compete at something you couldn't win yet lots of people do it all the time.

If you win it does also rather depend at what level, as well as effort, training, determination etc, having competed against world championship medal winners, GB squad members and various other people who were quite good as well as at bad club level at various sports (albeit all a long time ago) I know what it's like to come in various places in the field.

My daughter, age 5, is not very athletic although she is improving based on results at sports day (this morning). The other week she did a 1km fun run at school (as her friends were doing it), and while was not setting the world alight (far from it in fact) I was very proud at her determination to do it and finish it, with determination more is possible and that I think is the important lesson for life not the fact that the ego gets a boost from coming first (unless the competition is at a very serious level.....).

Enough said, that's got that off my chest.

It's all about intrinsic and extrinsic reward, gratification and pleasure. Most need a degree of both but when you get to my age and fitness.....

The History Man":19en4ux3 said:
.....................Most need a degree of both but when you get to my age and fitness.....

I was talking about this the other day with someone who in a former life rowed for University of London, and had beaten both Oxford and Cambridge as part of the warm up to the Boat Race, he's still rowing as a veteran in his 40s, and funnily enough he said against the same guys he competed against 25 years ago.........

Ah, school sports day... the only day in the year I'm happily allow my son to skive. PE should have been removed from the school day years ago to make room for more useful subjects.

I still despise every pathetic, semi-retarded, demoralising PE teacher I ever had - I was never fat or unhealthy, not clumsy... just not particularly "sporty" and was always able to see the stupidity of people getting so worked up about some silly ball game or pointlessly reaching the finish line a second quicker.

I never did understand why it was somehow acceptable for PE teachers to repeatedly, routinely humiliate particular pupils whose "abilities" were poor when teachers in any other subject would be up for disciplinary action if they did the same.

Fortunately there was never any crossover between PE and cycling so I never stopped enjoying getting out on the bike and staying reasonably fit (while plenty of the erstwhile PE stars turned to flab and clogged their lungs with tar!)

ajm":3rejepzx said:
Ah, school sports day... the only day in the year I'm happily allow my son to skive. PE should have been removed from the school day years ago to make room for more useful subjects.

I still despise every pathetic, semi-retarded, demoralising PE teacher I ever had - I was never fat or unhealthy, not clumsy... just not particularly "sporty" and was always able to see the stupidity of people getting so worked up about some silly ball game or pointlessly reaching the finish line a second quicker.

I never did understand why it was somehow acceptable for PE teachers to repeatedly, routinely humiliate particular pupils whose "abilities" were poor when teachers in any other subject would be up for disciplinary action if they did the same.

Fortunately there was never any crossover between PE and cycling so I never stopped enjoying getting out on the bike and staying reasonably fit (while plenty of the erstwhile PE stars turned to flab and clogged their lungs with tar!)

Well said :D

In my upper school, apart from physical humiliation on the field, she was as bad in the changing rooms, she got rid of PE skirts saying they were dangerous :roll: after PE everyone had to strip naked and she had removed all the shower curtains and shouted at us if we used our towels to cover ourselves, I wasn't fat but I still hated been so exposed and I still do.

Alison

Kids these days sit in their bedrooms and play Xbox or playstation day and night.
I live next to a school and at least half are overweight. I grew up in the Spectrum/commodore 64 days and my parents would make me go out and play if it wasn't raining. Only if it was winter with snow on the ground were we allowed to stop in.
Is it any wonder one of the biggest costs to the NHS is obesity?
Going back to PE at school it should remain in the curriculum as its the only exercise some kids get as they are ferried to and from school.

Kona lover":qt5t1lcu said:
Kids these days sit in their bedrooms and play Xbox or playstation day and night.
I live next to a school and at least half are overweight. I grew up in the Spectrum/commodore 64 days and my parents would make me go out and play if it wasn't raining. Only if it was winter with snow on the ground were we allowed to stop in.
Is it any wonder one of the biggest costs to the NHS is obesity?
Going back to PE at school it should remain in the curriculum as its the only exercise some kids get as they are ferried to and from school.

I can understand where your coming from, my children are well fed with nutritious home made food, never have junk or go to junk food places they are young, slim and fit and I like it that way, but my experience of school both as a pupil and as a parent is it's never about just keeping children active and fit there is a large element of competition that can be humiliating for those that can't, generate from parent's, teachers and other pupils, and there is no escaping it, PE sessions have never been and never will be completely uncompetitive, completely fair to the non gifted and not about beating your fellow man.

Alison routing for the underdog

Back