Ah the school sports day

Alison

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
My daughter has done me proud, showed she has her mother genes, she came 7th in a race of 8, just like me :D

Got the young ones next.

Alison

^^ everybody says this, but that's what sport is all about winning?
Granted not when they are very young but IMO after say 7yr old it should matter but perhaps that's why the Uk are always plugging the underdog.

I find, in primary, the parent's races funny, they are so deadly serious about it. When my now 20 year old son was 8 he asked me to do the mothers race, I was a fit, slim 34 year old, I did it for fun, they were super competitive :shock: needless to say I came last :facepalm: I never did it again. Two years ago this same son asked if he could do the fathers race, I said go do it, he had been training for a while with the intention to train as a Marine, but was disappointed when for the first time ever the head made it a skipping race. They started and James was behind skipping when he realised all the dads were just running he took flight and finished second.

I don't know what's more important to some parents their offspring's or their own performance, they certainly though don't want their kids showing them up.

Us women/girls in our family are rubbish the men/boys not so.

Alison

Lily got a 1st and two 2nd places in her first sports day last month. She's 5 years old.

I was heard to shout "SPRINT!" at one point.

Anyone that believes it's about the taking part, has never won anything.

Russell":6hxlnd2q said:
Lily got a 1st and two 2nd places in her first sports day last month. She's 5 years old.

Two years ago my 8 year old won practically all his races, last year he could't wait to take part but his sister dropped a glass the day before and it broke, a part cut a deep 3" gash in his ankle, he was devastated, he was bandaged up to the nines, he is determined to reclaim his crown this year, touch wood :D

I though have never shouted, feel a bit embarrassed doing so, I just let them do it in their own time if they win good if they don't win I don't make them feel a failure. and I have only ever won one race and I know the others let me win :oops:

Alison

Russell":2jpsyq57 said:

Whilst I get the point, in the examples I've seen, it's been more about the parents and what they want, than what they want for their kids.

Neil":qumqjnua said:
Russell":qumqjnua said:

Whilst I get the point, in the examples I've seen, it's been more about the parents and what they want, than what they want for their kids.

I often think that parent's are a lot more worried about how they look next to other parent's, that is certainly how it's seamed in the 15 years of having at least one child in primary almost.

I have never pushed them in sport, I personally have no interest in it, and other than my oldest wanting to swim they've also never shown interest. My oldest son swam for the county team but gave up because although he liked swimming and saying I've swam 40 lengths today, no competition time, he hated having to race even though he was one of the best, he just wanted to swim to be honest he just enjoyed being strong fit and healthy just as he does now.. :D

Alison

Egg and Spoon Race, Trigonometry/Algebra are two things that are integral with most folks school experience that have no baring on anything you encounter in adult life :LOL:

Mind you if I understood centrifugal force and had learned to play Lacrosse I'd have been good at egg and spoon having an understanding of how to keep the egg in the spoon whilst running. But thats learning you get when its too late :roll:

Back