Spin when applying for a job that is "beneath you".

videojetman":1uz82xpa said:
if your friend is in serious debt then as the saying goes, beggars can't be choosers.
whatever job your friend gets, she will have to show some enthusiasm.
an employer will be looking for enthusiastic candidates.
it sounds like she is lucky to have you.
i just hope you are not doing all the work for her.

This.
I was made redundant last year. Was told at 10am, by noon me and fellow worker had decided to start up on our own. We now have 4 vans and 4 other lads working for us. We took on some of our friends and soon sorted the workers from shirkers.
Your friend should try to be enthusiastic about every job she applies for as there are plenty of unemployed out there looking.

Kona lover":iaf8u2u7 said:
videojetman":iaf8u2u7 said:
if your friend is in serious debt then as the saying goes, beggars can't be choosers.
whatever job your friend gets, she will have to show some enthusiasm.
an employer will be looking for enthusiastic candidates.
it sounds like she is lucky to have you.
i just hope you are not doing all the work for her.

This.
I was made redundant last year. Was told at 10am, by noon me and fellow worker had decided to start up on our own. We now have 4 vans and 4 other lads working for us. We took on some of our friends and soon sorted the workers from shirkers.
Your friend should try to be enthusiastic about every job she applies for as there are plenty of unemployed out there looking.

i just have to say the best of luck in your business venture.
nothing like taking a negative and turning into a positive.

^ Thanks for that. Started with no funding, put £11000 on credit cards and used my redundancy as well to buy stock, vans/tools etc. My mate did the same. Had 4 months of no wages whilst paying the lads who worked for us each week.
Just getting to end of year books so will be interested how much we have made.

I would definitely spend time on the cover letters and CV submission. 15 minutes well spent here could make the difference between getting a job or not.

She should also look at contract jobs, what line of work is she in? I know you said QA/Tester, but is that in IT or another field?

Reason I ask is that I am a Project/Programme Director and have a lot of contacts in certain industries so depending on where she is based I may have had dealings with professional agencies. Chances are I equally may not have, but you never know!

Appreciate her difficult (an understatement) situation and that she needs money now. When my Dad left when I was a kid, we had to sell the house and move into a council flat. My Mum had to sleep on the sofa, it was grim. I still now think about how awful it must have been for her. Must be the same sort of worry for your friend.

Get her down the job centre, speak to someone there and she could at least get onto Job seekers allowance or something. Not ideal but gotta start somewhere. When I was 18 my mum desperately needed income so I did exactly that - went on job seekers so we could pay the council rent and then I got a job stacking shelves at the local Do It All shop.

Going into local shops and supermarkets is often a good idea and she has the benefit of being able to start immediately. For the more 'manual' jobs, if you can call it that (and I mean no disprespect when I say that), employers usually realise that attrition rates in those jobs are high. Usually they are easy enough to fill so I wouldnt worry too much about the whole "this person will just leave once they get a better job". Unless it's a smaller business.

Not sure any of that helps to be honest but all the best with getting it sorted!

I'm afraid presentation is far more important than content; CV's are like unsolicited manuscripts, they get thrown in a pile and only a very few are even looked at...

...keep the CV to one concise page if possible, and the covering letter to half a page; any more and it will go straight in the bin.

We_are_Stevo":rq4uw4mo said:
I'm afraid presentation is far more important than content; CV's are like unsolicited manuscripts, they get thrown in a pile and only a very few are even looked at...

...keep the CV to one concise page if possible, and the covering letter to half a page; any more and it will go straight in the bin.

Agreed - nothing worse with looking at one with loads of waffle and loads of pages...just switch off immediately. Good advice!

Back