What was the first bike you ever had, your childhood bike ?

Re: What was the first bike you ever had, your childhood bik

Raleigh Chipper :D Yellow
It was bought 2nd hand for me and i rode it to death. It came with us when we moved back to Scotland and i think i was using it aged about 9(45 now) when it was alas stolen :(.
Thankfully it was recovered, but when we went to collect it my Dad was told it was an absolute death trap :LOL: , No brakes, stem was loose, both tyres skidded to the cord showing.

Once ,while out on it roaming about i decided to go to a large outdoor shopping arcade that had ramps running right through it and was superb for bombing down :D
Off i went but to my horror as i approached the last ramp going full tilt that it wasnt a ramp at all it was instead a flight of concrete stairs about 12 high. Naturally ,i didnt realise it was a staircase till i was right at the very top of it and flew off it.
:LOL: Bike landed pretty much flat but bounced high and went over and off i went landing on my side more shocked than in pain.

The police kept the bike and i didnt get another till 1992 :LOL:

My Kingpin got its revenge on me, we used to race down a vennel (Scots for alley) with a flight of steps at the bottom. We'd play chicken seeing who could stop closest to the edge of the first step down, no mean feat with caliper brakes and steel rims. My compatriots were riding Raleigh Bombers, Grifters and one lad on a Chipper (he was still riding it when he was 14 :shock: ). I nearly won, stopped right on the lip, went over the handlebars and down the stairs. Bike then rolled down stairs and right over me. I'm sure it was sniggering. :LOL:

Not the first I owned but it is the first I remember - mine was black with yellow details (mudguards etc) and I owned it from maybe 1979 til I got a road bike at high school (probably '82-ish)

I like to think this heavy beast was possibly a proto-mtb - it had 3-speed derailler gears and an attempt at front suspension (which seized solid!) - I'm amazed at how much I remember about this bike :)

Attachments

• RX20.jpg
    RX20.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 383

Raleigh Pixie. Loved it. Wish I had one, I'd hang it in the study and then sleep face down.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 381

Mine was a Gresham Flyer,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Child ... 2199516%26

It was rubbish! Too highly geared and crap handling.,
My sister's bike was much better. It was orange, had smaller wheels and you could unbolt the seat stays to turn it into a softail! :D
Unfortunately, DIY softails and jumps didn't mix...

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The earliest bike I remember owning was a Raleigh Budgie in pale blue as below. Loved that bike...it was the bike that the stabilisers were removed from for that first sketchy wobble down the drive :)

Attachments

• budgie.jpg
    budgie.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 605

Like most children of the 80's the earliest bike I can recall owning (or are prepared to admit to!) was a Raleigh Mini Burner, my particular one was in this exact colour scheme, sadly it met an untimely end underneath a neighbours car :(

bd0ef98614fca55170b0c4dadea46c79_zps181c07a1.jpg

I'm going to tell you my oldest 20 son's first bike because I was so proud of him, he was 3/4 and it was a Raleigh Jungle

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raleigh-Jungl ... 3cd2a61f78

Sorry not sure how to add a pic without using photobucket.

Anyway, when he was out of stabilisers at 4 he road this bike 8 miles to his grandma's house, we took him on the minor roads but at 4 I thought that was pretty amazing :D

Alison

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back