What 90's Headset?

NeilM

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I've just taken delivery of a very nice 92/3 Arthur Caygill frame, which I want to build up pretty much in period kit, but I have a slight problem.

The frame is designed for an 1 1/8" Ahead type headset, which if I were building up with modern running gear would not be a problem, but finding a 90's style headset is proving to be a bit tricky.

Can anyone suggest (other than Chris King) a headset model or manufacturer?

NeilM":3lfkg5jr said:
I've just taken delivery of a very nice 92/3 Arthur Caygill frame, which I want to build up pretty much in period kit, but I have a slight problem.

The frame is designed for an 1 1/8" Ahead type headset, which if I were building up with modern running gear would not be a problem, but finding a 90's style headset is proving to be a bit tricky.

Can anyone suggest (other than Chris King) a headset model or manufacturer?

92/3 with a 1 1/8 ahead headset, when did ahead headsets start? Our Arthur caygill 92 is 1" threaded, unfortunately Arthur Caygill replaced the bottom bracket casing a few years ago and it's gone again so can no longer be repaired and will remain an ornament :(

Sorry to hijack your post a bit.

Alison

I think Ahead's were coming in around then, although I honestly don't remember them that early.

I spoke to Scott Caygill yesterday and he was the one that suggested 92/3ish.

I was amazed, and pleased to hear they still make steel framed bikes on the premises, although not mtbs.

I wish it was closer, it sounds like s good shop.

Off to scour the net some more for silver 1 1/8" headsets........

NeilM":x8yusmcf said:
I think Ahead's were coming in around then, although I honestly don't remember them that early.

I spoke to Scott Caygill yesterday and he was the one that suggested 92/3ish.

I was amazed, and pleased to hear they still make steel framed bikes on the premises, although not mtbs.

I wish it was closer, it sounds like s good shop.

Off to scour the net some more for silver 1 1/8" headsets........

We are not that far from the shop, and it's a great shop. What surprised us was that they still had the record of our bike in the shops archive.

Alison

DiaCompe's (now expired AFAIK) patent for the aheadset was filed in 1992: http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Pars ... RS=5095770

I believe the first ones you could buy at that time were badged Tioga Alchemy, I have one of these on one of my bikes:

product_352032.jpg

You want something rounded in appearance (from caged balls) rather than the modern squared off (from cartridge bearings) look...

The lower cup of this looks OK but the upper is plastic: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIATECH-1-1-8 ... vi-content

EDIT: Mombat agrees with 1992 for the introduction of diacompe aheadsets, although says 1993 as the date of introduction of the Tioga Alchemy: http://mombat.org/MOMBAT/BikeHistoryPages/Timeline.html

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Yup, it was a DiaCompe that was originally fitted to this frame.

I think I may just bite the bullet and get something modern and pretty anonymous looking, Cane Creek (made by Tange) have a couple of silver models that would suit.

NeilM":2tz2hd5j said:
Yup, it was a DiaCompe that was originally fitted to this frame.

I think I may just bite the bullet and get something modern and pretty anonymous looking, Cane Creek (made by Tange) have a couple of silver models that would suit.

Plus cane creek are a brand name of dia compe, so preserving some originality.... :cool:

Cane Creek didn't make their first Aheadset til '95, but it's probably close enough to fit the style of the bike.

Cane Creek if you want something in keeping with a 2 decade old style, FSA Fat Pig if you want something über tough, serviceable and reasonably priced.

It's all about the style, as unless it's new, I really don't want to install a 20 year old headset of unknown origin.

I'll look at FSA, as I like their kit.

Back