What was the first bike you ever had, your childhood bike ?

velomaniac

MacRetro Rider
My first bike is not the one I'll mention as I have no idea what make the bike with stabilisers fitted was when I was very wee. But the first bike i had and was very chuffed to own was a Dawes Kingpin 18 with metallic blue frame, metalic red mudguards and chainring and white tyres including a tartan rear rack box. looks embarrasing now and looks like a girls bike but its claimed was unisex. loved that bike.

What was your first bike and by that I mean the bike you learned to ride on without the aid of stabilisers when you were a kid ?

Re: What was the first bike you ever had, your childhood bik

1422_balloon-tire-circus-carnival-bikes-vintage1.jpg

Mine was yellow though

As a kid I was given so many no named second hand bikes with 3 speed Sturmey Archer gears that were next to useless I so dreamed of a proper bike, I used to fondle magazines, just like in that bike advert of the 70's, then in 1984 when I left school my step-dad agreed to buy me a Revell touring bike, I wanted the Romany but that was way to expensive I got the one that had 531 forks the rest was just some kind of steel, but I loved it :D

Alison

Raging_Bulls, your first was rather cool, a sort of mixte' frame. With those tyres it looks like a scaled down On-One fatty :D

Raging_Bulls, actually that looks just like the bike that went through my husbands family when we were very small.

Alison

we was poor so my first bike was a tiny tricycle which was a hand me down from an older cousin. it had no brakes but that didn;t matter for pootling round the garden and you really could not go that fast on it, fixed single gear. Don't think it has pneumatic tyres either. I recall painting it, including the chain :eek:

.... hmm off for a google to see if I can find anything like it, doubt it.

Don't remember the first ever but after the stabilisers came off I had one of these as THE bike from my childhood. Can't believe the picture I found is exactly as I remember it with the red stripe rear tyre, really flappy white cables and the Mk2 cut away seat which I could sit on right at the back and do a wheelie down the whole length of my road. Awesomeness ! :cool: :LOL:

Attachments

• tomahawk mk2.jpg
    tomahawk mk2.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 538

I remember my dad giving me a Raleigh Budgie for Christmas, not too dissimilar to this one, must have been '76 or '77. It was second hand and spray can painted a turquoisey blueish hue. It was the start of a lifetime on 2 wheels and the first of many Raleighs...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 534

trek_y":1mrkp6jo said:
Don't remember the first ever but after the stabilisers came off I had one of these as THE bike from my childhood. Can't believe the picture I found is exactly as I remember it with the red stripe rear tyre, really flappy white cables and the Mk2 cut away seat which I could sit on right at the back and do a wheelie down the whole length of my road. Awesomeness ! :cool: :LOL:

Same here but a red one. I could ride a bike before I got it though as my mate got a bike for his birthday a few months before christmas.

Just realised the one in the photo is an 80's one. Mine must have been from the early 70's. So it would have had the "proper" seat.

I had a Raleigh Tomahawk too.

Looked very much like this one:
100_2587.jpg

I remember the crumby rod brake on the front, which I think was more for decoration than actually braking, and the springs on the back of the seat - I remember being disappointed that they didn't actually do anything.

I remember me on my Tomahawk and my friend on his Raleigh Chipper riding all the way to Hythe and back, about a 10 mile round trip from where we lived at the time. I also remember that it was not so good for off-road use, the small front wheel went in a hole, I went over the handlebars and the bike landed on top of me. Happy days. :D

Back