Unidentified Shimano Road bike

cj80gdi

Retro Newbie
Hello all,

This is my first message on this forums.

I have a Shimano road bike, but I don't know what kind of model is... I've been searching on the internet any info regarding this bike, but haven't found something usefull. This is the reason that I have posted this new topic.

I attach a picture with the hope that some of you can help me.

Thank you and best regards!

Attachments

• shimano1.jpg
    shimano1.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 515
Welcome to RetroBike

The reason you can't find any info is that Shimano makes components not bicycles. It is likely that someone slapped a bunch of Shimano stickers on the bike after a respray. Interestingly Shimano did their own "redecal" jobs on show bikes, most notably for the launch of the Dura-Ace AX group. A few of these are still about but it is unlikely that this bike is one because of the relatively low range kit, though it cold be. On the bright side it looks like a pretty well made tig welded frame and should be a good ride.

The stem will have some pecked marks round it -they should be the max limit. You probably have about 1 cm of stem left in the steerer - one pothole and out pops the stem... :shock:

On the bright side, the handlebars and brake levers are setup completely wrongly, and too low. YOu can get a lot of the height back by repositioning it all. Firstly undo the bar clamp on the stem and twist the bars so that the tips are pointing slightly downwards from horizontal.
After removing the bar tape, loosen the brtake lever clamps and slide them up the bars - a peek at a few pictures here will give a feel of where they ought to be.

thank you for the tips! I have also search a little about this position. If I adjust the handlebars as told, won't this affect the front visibility?

On the other hand, can I find the release year of my bike according to it's equipments?
rear shifter Exage300EX
front shifter Exage400EX
brake levers Exage Motion
handlebars ITM Italmanubri 100 Liner
Shifters Shimano 600

Thank you

If a more upright riding position is the goal, which provides better visibility of the road, then a flat bar might be a good choice. Or as suggested above lower the stem and then tilt the bars up a bit so that your riding position with hands on the hoods will be approximately the same as the current set up. Plus you won't like the riding position if that stem pops out mid ride

I have decided to sell this bike, but I am not sure, I like it, it rides smooth on the road.

Are there any ways, so that I can identify what frame model is?
The paint looks original to me (I can't find the old paint anywhere), also the group on it.

Can I identify the bike after the serial number???

Lugless frame, unicrown fork, rear mudguard eyes integral with the dropouts....resprayed early 90s Peugeot built using their "Direct Brazing System" could be a likely suspect? I recall a Cr-Mo tubed entry-level bike with a purple splatter paint job and 300EX group that might fit the bill.

Edit: not the model I'm thinking of, but pretty close. Rear dropouts are slightly different though;

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzerndgo/site ... eugeot.JPG

David

Everything about it says 1988-1992 ish in age. It could be a generic Taiwanese frame built up by a shop. Small details like dropouts help enormously when trying to work out the maker.

It's not that special - the mudguard lugs suggest it was a winter trainer kind of bike, which fits with the above statement about a shop-sourced vanilla frame. That doesn't mean it's bad to ride, in fact it looks an ideal machine for audaxes and long day rides, whatever the weather. It would also make a splendid fast commuter.

Latest posts

Back