Gary Fisher Mt.Tam 1991 Update

Crus

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Recently i've started to clean up and restore one of the first mountain bike I own since I was 14 years old, a Gary Fisher Mt.Tam.
Bought it in 1991, it has been my first expensive bike, as it was more then 3.000.000lire.

I choose this bike not to race, but to go up and down on mountains and country tracks, exactly the mission tha this bike was intendend. Today can be called all mountain to freeride :cool: :cool:
First production bike with suspension fork, with frame geometries designed for it, the RS1.
Pure freeride with 4cm of front travel!! :facepalm: :LOL:

The finished bike:
7vmc.jpg

The catalog.
wk8o.jpg

64zb.jpg

And the bike, as it was taken out from a canteen box.
photoapr30102617.jpg

Re: My 1991 Mt.Tam

sweet, Im working on a stuck headset for a hk2 love the mt tam just a shame they diddnt stick with the fillet brazing

In the mean time i prepared the components:
Wheels, rm17 rims on xt hubs. In Italy these where catalog wheels. Nipples are ergal ones and spokes are 2.0-1,8mm
Tires are original Fattax 2.2 :cool:

aeph.jpg

dg7s.jpg

Chute55uk":2rgxmn0a said:
sweet, Im working on a stuck headset for a hk2 love the mt tam just a shame they diddnt stick with the fillet brazing
You are right, in 1991 frames where made in japan....
I hoped for a while that TeT could have signed my frame :( , but he made only the earlier Mttam...nevermind... :D

Luckilly the headset is very smooth, no need to change it!

That looks great :D glad to see the classic onza sticker in place too :LOL:
will be keeping an eye on this one .
Cheers Paul

Less lucky with the BB...little rusty, but easy to clean.
The Bearing had to be changed, and I replaced them with a SKF set, not expensive at all...
f58o.jpg

And here the axle
lnlc.jpg

Here the components I will use.
Originally I bought it with Sti and srl plus 092 Deore Xt integrated levers.
Didn't like them (thumbs in 91 where prefered by racers) so i asked to change them it to xt thumbs.
Now i'd like to bring it as I got from reseller, also If the one in the catalog picture has thumbs...

The Deore XT 1991 groupset
4qhq.jpg

The seatpost, Nitto brand, probably the same has Nitto used to produce for Tom.
bdop.jpg

Stem and bar, both Gary Fisher, needs a polish
8xrd.jpg

She helped to clean them up...As usually she does with herself
67.jpg

so nice to see the original bits, you are very lucky to have those tyres Im going to watch this with interest.

Yes, very lucky about tires! The front is new and the rear used for few km! They look nice on this bike.

I belive that "Gary" was introduced in 1991.... Also the brand on frame tells Gary Fisher

Back