Anybody living within 5 miles radius of Heathrow airport?

Re: Anybody living within 5 miles radius of Heathrow airport

rosstheboss":1gfheujv said:
My best friend lives next door to a railway line - you get used to it

Yes, but trains don't go by as often as planes take off from airports and are many many times less noisy.

Alison

rosstheboss":1bifgvht said:
And if it does prove to be a bit much you can always throw yourself on the tracks :LOL:

We live on the flight path for Cardiff International and also RAF ST. Athan. The noise fades into the background now. We don't even notice it. Unless something like the Vulcan bomber that did a fly past or the Hawker Hunter that gets repairs done there are around.

Isaac_AG":36qnfx3f said:
rosstheboss":36qnfx3f said:

Yes, but trains don't go by as often as planes take off from airports and are many many times less noisy.

Alison

Generally true, but Clapham Junction has about twice the number of trains each day than Heathrow has movements.

Trains are quiet, but if you live next to the line they can shake your whole house. One of my best mates is in a penthouse flat beside Clapham Junction and it feels like an earthquake sometimes.

Many times out camping here we have been woken by planes on night exercises, sometimes just a hundred feet above.

Quite the wake up call!

I think I'll stick with just being annoyed by the sound of crows, much less audible now since the cull.

I remember as a kid staying at my husbands parents house and they lived in the city of Nottingham and I was kept awake at night by the constant passing of cars every couple of mins and that was not on the most main of roads, and the light passing across the ceiling, I'd hate to live in a noisy environment.

Alison

We used to get excited seeing lights on the ceiling, though the cars sporting them rarely came up our road. I have lived in remote silent glens as well as super noisy apartments on major city streets.

I know where I need to spend most of my time.

A country boy like me ;) I find excessive and intrusive noise quickly brings out homicidal tendencies in me. I value the peace and quiet more than anything - I'd sooner live in my shed here than a mansion in town.

Chopper1192":vaejhb1g said:
A country boy like me ;) I find excessive and intrusive noise quickly brings out homicidal tendencies in me. I value the peace and quiet more than anything - I'd sooner live in my shed here than a mansion in town.

I agree, even though water floods into my shed every rain storm or snow fall :(

Alison

My she'd was custom designed and installed by a master architect, who accounted for this. He laid a concrete base, then converted some heavy slabs a too this to raise the shed off the base. Electrics, heat, kettle, and a panoramic double glazed window make it as cosy as an orgy in a phone box.

Chopper1192":jv90jm05 said:
My she'd was custom designed and installed by a master architect, who accounted for this. He laid a concrete base, then converted some heavy slabs a too this to raise the shed off the base. Electrics, heat, kettle, and a panoramic double glazed window make it as cosy as an orgy in a phone box.

You lucky b4s7ard :D Mine cost £2000, is large and is total cr4p, every time we have re-felted it, three months later it comes off, our neighbour but one a gardener by trade, tried to nail one replacement on but said the wood wouldn't accept the nails it had to be stapled, it came of in a few months.

Sorry for going OT :)

Alison

Back