Viper Scandium - Weight Weenie build

Re: Viper Scandium 19lb Weight Weenie build

Now more or less assembled but minus a couple of parts - grips not on yet as I need to make a bar-end decision. Also the ultralight pedals aren't on yet (just the superlight Exustars!). I was holding out for a black carbon post but now I've put the gunmetal one on it actually matches the XTR and crown of the Mars forks quite nicely. Suggestions welcome!

Attachments

• P1000384 (Custom).JPG
    P1000384 (Custom).JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 978
  • P1000386 (Custom).JPG
    P1000386 (Custom).JPG
    179.5 KB · Views: 976
  • P1000387 (Custom).JPG
    P1000387 (Custom).JPG
    175.3 KB · Views: 976
  • P1000388 (Custom).JPG
    P1000388 (Custom).JPG
    152.7 KB · Views: 976
  • P1000383 (Custom).JPG
    P1000383 (Custom).JPG
    211.6 KB · Views: 978
  • P1000389 (Custom).JPG
    P1000389 (Custom).JPG
    207.8 KB · Views: 978

Have you actually weighed the fully built up bike yet? we have all done the 'adding of individual items up' to get a really low weight only to find the actual fully built weight weighs more. I have a litespeed ti build, with xtr, deus, flite ti, carbon ridgid pace forks etc that weighs an honest fully built weight of 21 lb. Your build even manages to fit on Manitou Mars forks and still weigh 2lb less!

shaun":nrxauc4v said:
Have you actually weighed the fully built up bike yet? we have all done the 'adding of individual items up' to get a really low weight only to find the actual fully built weight weighs more. I have a litespeed ti build, with xtr, deus, flite ti, carbon ridgid pace forks etc that weighs an honest fully built weight of 21 lb. Your build even manages to fit on Manitou Mars forks and still weigh 2lb less!
Nope, not weighed it altogether just yet (not quite fully built) - though I have quite meticulously weighed every single item myself to the nearest gram (no using mfr stated weights or estimates from weight weenies) including all bolts/cables/etc, so I can't see it being more than 50g out either way. But sure, I take your point, will have to do this once complete!

Would like to see details of the Litespeed build. When you look at the weights carefully the top-end stuff is not always the absolute lightest. I assume the Litespeed frame is heavier than this for example, also Flite Ti's are aren't especially light, Pace carbons are a couple of hundred grams heavier than the Trigon equivalent. XTR depends on the year and the parts - as an example the M752 chainset on this build is lighter than all the XTR equivalents.

I've really carefully checked out every single part on this build to make sure there's nothing (leaving aside the super-expensive) that's a worthwhile weight saving over what I've got, though there are still a few grams that could go here and there. And I'm interested in hearing suggestions in case anyone has any! :) What makes the biggest difference is the wheelset - those Crossmaxes are a good 300g lighter overall than many other lightweight wheelsets, and add to that the pair Kenda Klimaxes saving of 200-300g over other lightweight tyres and it starts to add up...

I agree, the wheels are a critical part in a light build. I carefully chose mavic 230 spb rims, dt revolution spokes, dt alloy nips, air b tubes, 450g tyres, ti Skewers, hope ti hubs. The overall weight is about the same weight as yours for the wheels, but I do gain about 300g on the tyres as they are as light as I .dare go. My pace r31s weigh 760g. You are right about the ti frame weighing a bit more, its 1750g with the headset. Bottom bracket is raceface ti, with raceface 8 speed turbine forged cranks, deus stem, tripple butted alloy bars, xy seatpost, xtr brakes, mech and shifters and flite ti saddle and xtr spds....but it still weighs a disapointing 21lb on the scales fully built and apart from saving 300g on the tyres and 100 on the post and saddle, I am at a loss of how to get much lower and mine has rigid forks! If yours weighs 19lb at the end, I applaud your effort and take my hat off to you for an amazing achievement!

shaun":tzm0xrdm said:
Have you actually weighed the fully built up bike yet?

Managed to get the bike on an old-fashioned spring-scale this afternoon - showed up between 19.5 and 19.75lb as built up in the most recent photos. Once finished the grips will add 25g but the pedals will save 47g. Presumably not a reliable measurement, though it's certainly consistent with expectations pending something more accurate!

shaun":tzm0xrdm said:
....but it still weighs a disapointing 21lb on the scales fully built and apart from saving 300g on the tyres and 100 on the post and saddle, I am at a loss of how to get much lower and mine has rigid forks!

No need for disappointment in a 21lb bike - like you say, if you sacrifice the tyres for something a bit more fragile and go for a lightweight seatpost you're already down to 20lb. You can't go much lighter than that without some serious weight-weenie spreadsheet-gazing (happy to send you mine if you like)!

This build is now more or less finished, pictures attached including its first ride up out on the Waskerley way last weekend. It was a joy to ride - considerably faster than my last build of around 22lb.

The remaining parts on the way are an M950 front mech, carbon post, a few more Ti bolts, and once they're on I think I'll call it a day there and post the final weight :)

Attachments

• Viper Scandium3.jpg
    Viper Scandium3.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 766
  • Viper Scandium2.jpg
    Viper Scandium2.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 766
  • Viper Scandium1.jpg
    Viper Scandium1.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 766

highlandsflyer":3s84l8mk said:
Shifter cables.
Not sure what the question/comment is here, but in the latest pics they are Transfil Black Snake cables. Couldn't find much else in black to match the brake inners, cost about £4 each. (Very nice they are too.)

Back