where to ride

ewanm77

MacRetro Rider
just got back into riding and kind of new to north lanarkshire is there anywhere good to ride thats nearer than glentress?

gmac is from NL(ish) and should be able to help but off the top of my head, Strathclyde park is allegedly ok nothing too demanding but there are some trails. Then You've got Cathkin braes in Glasgow and Stirling/Carron Valley/ Cambusbarron and North third. Reckon these should all be a wee bit closer than GT.

hoping to organise a retrun visit to Cambusbarron in early July or August mate, hopefully you could come along and meet a few of the macretro regulars.

some good riding in Cambusbarron/North third area just south of stirling.

ewanm77":wpaiz973 said:
carron valley isnt too far GT is good but it takes a hour to get there

An hour in the car to GT is good !

Takes me the best part of an hour to get to Carron Valley. Hour and a half to GT , Inners and Drumlanrig and 2+ hours to Mabie and Ae.

Hence the reason I've been doing more road riding. Straight out the door , no petrol to pay for !

im in airdrie so im pretty central wouldnt ride on the roads round here its bad enough driving on them lol

Hi Ewan, welcome to MacRetro

I'm over in South Lanarkshire, so other side of the clyde. tbh I don't know you're neck of the woods that well.

Closer to you

Vague recollections of being told about trails up at some some loch or reservoir in Airdrie, glen something??

Cumbernauld, used to work there and I'm aware of trails at Palacerigg country park and there used to be group that did weekly rides.

Campsies - besides carron valley mentioned by hawmaw, there's plenty of trails up there unfortunately to date I've not explored. I guess studying a map for tracks or search tinternet for trails or walkers paths.

My local trails involve chatelherault country park, strathy park, barrons haugh reserve and the clyde walkway. the below is route recorded by a friend on one of our outings. There's plenty of variation, I get up to 25miles off road.

Also I can use the clyde walkway up to the trails round new lanark with minimal road involved.

tour of lanarkshire sample route by gmac123, on Flickr

hope this gives you some ideas, let us all know if you find any interesting rides

g..

thanks for that gives me a few ideas was going to go to chatelherault country park today but fell off at glentress on thursday and hurt my shoulder. going to need to try strathy park its only 10 mins away

your route looks good might give it a try over the summer

and need to get my bike fixed left crank keeps coming loose normal tappered square bb problems

going to the malverns on holiday at the end of next week

Glad to be of help. I've got a soft spot for chatelherault, been pedaling around there since before it was a a country park and they made the paths. The old single was great and i do miss them, but the paths mean it's ride able all year round. I tend to avoid in the weekend afternoons during summer as it's popular with families and you can really get on flyer.

To link chatelherault with strathy, take the path down from the front of the hunting lodge, cross old Avon bridge and turn right immediately, this takes you into smithy croft, follow the river under the m74 and enter strathy under the bridge of the Hamilton/motherwell expressway. To enter barons haugh/dalziel, under the same bridge on the other side if the river.

Keep your eye on the rides thread in this forum and come along and meet the guys. We recently had a mid week spin up cathkin braes, I intend to try and get another organised up whitelees where there's trail building underway.

http://www.lanarkshiremtbclub.co.uk/home - another option, I'm sure they ride most Sundays meeting up at sainsburys car park in Hamilton .

Give me a shout if you have any questions, or unearth any local gems

ewanm77":3a7m88kc said:
fell off at glentress on thursday and hurt my shoulder.

Was it you sitting at the Buzzards nest car park talking to one of the rangers as you got patched up about 2.30ish?

Back