Colnago

Kerplunk":1v11z9kl said:
Forks don't look that bad. There's been a few threads on here about using foil to clean up chrome. That a look at this http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=52096.0 link to see what can be done with a bit of elbow grease.

+1 I'd say the forks don't look bad either. You can try foil but personally I think you get better success with Liberon 0000 steel wool either dipped in oil or sprayed with WD40. Its so soft it won't scratch but it will sort out any rust speckles, tar spots and generally anything that shouldn't be there. Good on paint as well :)

I agree that fork should shine up nice, I use triple zero steel wool to great effect.

The right group for this bike would be a 90s Campagnolo, Shimano or similar, a friend has Mavic on a similar bike and it looks stunning. The Nuovo Gran Sport would be about 10 years earlier than this frame.

Also you can clean the paint up nicely with automotive grade rubbing compound. I use Perfect-it which is a 3M product but may not be available in the UK

Thanks for the advice on the forks, I'm going to start with a start with a strip and a good polish so will advise how that goes.

On the group set I have looked at the various Campag webpages and was thinking an early Chorus set so I think thats in line with the recommendation too so all good there :)

Regards Wheels i was thinking Campag hubs with Mavic rims, again any advise ??

PS Just realised didnt photograph the script writing on the top tube, See att, does this help narrow down the frame identity ?? ( and what does it say ?? :))

Attachments

• P1000846.JPG
    P1000846.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 448
Same colour as my old Mexico. You should try to source old Super Record parts. I scoured eBay for mine and if you're patient you can get the not quite so mint stuff for a decent price.

8648104730_2d7d515463_b.jpg

lewisfoto":2j3ve88d said:
The right group for this bike would be a 90s Campagnolo, Shimano or similar,

Shimano on an Italian frame! :shock:
Wash your mouth out with soap, style faux pas. :LOL:

Ha! yes very funny and I believe Leonardo da Vinci and Tullio himself turned over in the grave at my faux pas however the real blasphemer may well be the Colnago company itself. As I look through the 40th anniversary catalog I see the team Lampre Bititan is equipped with (gasp) Dura Ace!

BTW after looking at said catalog it appears like the Super PIU is indeed the frame shown in the OP. (Originally equipped with what appears to be Shimano 105) sorry I just could not resist...

Steven

Thanks to all for info, I think this concludes frame as a 1990s Super.
Regarding the build up, I'm currently still in the place that looks like assembly with Campag chorus group set and wheel set of campag hubs (which group ??) with mavic rims, 700c of course ( interestingly nice set on eBay "Campagnolo Record 9 speed 32 hole hubs laced 3 cross on brand new Mavic Open Pro silver rims") ....................... as nobody said thats a bad idea. :)

lewisfoto":1b6rig86 said:
Ha! yes very funny and I believe Leonardo da Vinci and Tullio himself turned over in the grave at my faux pas however the real blasphemer may well be the Colnago company itself. As I look through the 40th anniversary catalog I see the team Lampre Bititan is equipped with (gasp) Dura Ace!

BTW after looking at said catalog it appears like the Super PIU is indeed the frame shown in the OP. (Originally equipped with what appears to be Shimano 105) sorry I just could not resist...

Steven

:LOL: Exactly.

But I bet everyone who rode for Lampre that year felt somehow dirty and guilty.

Anyway, until the bullying cheat started winning the TdF, nobody had ever won on Shimano. I rest my case. ;)

Back