can I live with these wheels ?

daugs

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
these were on my aluminium DEAN project, see sig for link. The bike was a single speed and clearly with bits that were lying around but wondering how long I can put up with these. My knowledge is all early 1990s (with XT or DX kit for reference) so less familiar with later bits, but what do we think ? (but am on a budget so don't need the throw away and spend hundreds recommendation :LOL: as can't happen unfortunately :cry: )

Front: Shimano Deore HB-M510 (probably ok) laced to Teny rim (never heard of it and not found much relevant either)

9068670994_db9352a466_n.jpg
9068670858_46fd7dea52_n.jpg

Rear: Shimano FH-MC18 (Alivio - below STX ??) laced to mavic x317 (would have thought ok)

9068671418_d62968181e_n.jpg
9068671228_e1363a944c_n.jpg

So what do people think ? has technology moved on enough by late 1990s that the lower spec is equivalent to early 90s XT or will I be disappointed if keep on bike and should start looking now. The build is taking some time as polishing the frame from poor starting point.............

All bits have average wear and not worn out. I've never built a wheel so not sure how practical building my own would be. The rest of the bike is probably Deore LX or XT as far as mechs/shifters/levers concerned.

The only difference in the hubs is a few lighter components. XT hubs and above are actually more fragile than LX and below. The main difference is the standard of external finish.

I have some Alivio hubs which have done thousands of miles of trouble-free service on the tandem.

Sound enough set of wheels that you should run untill they're bust. Noticeably heavy wheels you might want rid of but they look like they'll be ok for a while yet.

thanks guys, with my lardy carcass not sure an extra lb is going to make much difference (even if the rotational effect increases the effective weight) :D

although having weighed them (excluding tyres, cassette, skewers), front is about 860g and rear 1070g so actually compared to here viewtopic.php?f=21&t=249295&hilit=weight doesn't seem to bad at 200g per wheel heavier, oh dear, is this how the weighing stuff starts, and do I go and weigh the old M650/mavic 231s that are on the marin, mmm.

I have a worse set of wheels like those. Front Deore disc hub (M475) on Mavic 117 rim - not a bad wheel but rather tatty, rear unknown black hub with unknown black rim and rusty spokes - looks nasty but its round and spins. Using them without shame on my collection of shonky Dynatech and have picked up a 317 rim to have a go at wheel building with the rear one. If it all goes horribly wrong then ho hum ! Can't say the same about my Crossmax SLR's I had which I was scared to take out in the rain.

trek_y":1zry8lex said:
Can't say the same about my Crossmax SLR's I had which I was scared to take out in the rain.

yeah, no point in kit not getting used in my view, but I am definitely a bit of a snob in that kit that has glitches annoys me even if my level of talent doesn't justify XTR, hence wondering what I'd got blah blah, but do like idea of DX / later LX being more reliable than XTR :D

Back