Alpinestars cro-mega DX 1991

That is looking great Marc. The long and patient application of lacquer coats throughout summer will be well worth it in the end.

I'd look at scheduling it's first ride some time after June 2014...

PopsTrippin":3lya7pe1 said:
What a cracking start mate. Really like that grey... It's very Marin-esque!!!

Hi pops, off topic and that but, i saw a grey my coaters do with a texture ;) one is rougher than the other, one golf ball-ish texture, the other one more understated, you know...ZOLATONEY (Just invented a word there) I'm still active on the whole zolatone re-do thing, just need a sample to compare to.

Thank to all above for kind comments. I can have a bull-in-a -china-shop approach to building bikes but, this one will be done right.

Rob, i reckon i have all i need now for this one. I will not hesitate to contact you if i need owt ;)

I speak for us all when i say "I just can't wait to knock the headset cups in and build away" Annoyingly i'm waiting on some decent 2k lacquer to seal the paint in. The lacquer off the shelf from your local motorists stores are just pure rubbish, soft and some coats seem frosty despite the necessary preparations. I'm reliably informed (thanks slmracing) that 2k is the only real way of getting that scratch resistant finish, that does harden.

More early next week perhaps... :|

cheers.

Looking really good so far :cool:

I need to get my arse in gear and sort my Cro-Mega DX. I started stripping it to renovate back in 2000 and its been in the garage minus paint ever since, looking very 'rat' now and for the life of me I can't remember what I did with the box of bits :(

Will be following this with interest and trying to build enough motivation to pull my finger out ;)

This has encouraged me to get into gear and finish my 1991 cro-mega DX too. Mine also has been white powdered and is now sat in the spare bedroom waiting for that yellow orb in the sky to warm things up and allow time to paint and harden.

What colour grey did you use on the frame and how muck lacquer was applied over the top of the decals to get a good even coating?

Cheers, Mark.

Hi mark, the grey coat has a RAL number but, i've forgot it :oops:

Next time i'm at the coaters i will make a note of it. Lacquer wise, forget anything from the 'motorists' shops. they just don't harden and the finish is not very good. Look online for something '2k' in aerosol, this is your only chance of a good gloss. This way it will mean 2 coats rather than 22. :)

Then, its all about the hardening of it, pick as warm of a day as possible +22 degrees c, out of the wind in a well vented area. Allow a couple of hours between coats, then leave atleast 24h. Mine is currently sat on top of the immersion heater, forks too. seems to be helping.

but if you have access to any form of heating, heat gun, uv lamp etc, then that's even better.

cheers.

Hi mate, the only update i have is that the project is on hold, big style!

You see, the paint i applied, the white bit, just didn't harden. So, i was happy to commence with the lacquering process to seal it all in and allow me to A. ride it. B. wash it. Both with no concern over paint and decals.

I started, naively, with 'off the shelf' lacquer. total crap! 6-7 coats later and not much in way of a shine and took 3 or 4 days. Again, all still felt soft and peel-able. I live in south west facing apartment so, kept the frame and fork in the shed with the sun beating on it, well above 20 degrees c for a couple of days, no difference.

In vain, i purchased some better lacquer(2k) to hopefully protect it all. rubbish! I used my blunt and un-manicured nail to peel a postage stamp size section of paint back to the grey powdercoat. boo-bleedin'-hoo :shock:

So, it's been for nothing really. It's been done wrong, at my hand anyway, the grey powdercoat is very good and durable.
I could build and ride but too mad with myself to be arsed. It will have to be re-done.

SO, that's new decals, powdercoat. I will not bother to lacquer in future unless under professional control and necessary environment to achieve the right finish.

£65 down the swanny!

It will be a couple of months now before i jump on it again plus, i have other builds to get on with.

:x

Sorry to hear that fella.

I picked up one on Saturday, pretty original but a bit too rough for my liking.
In 2 minds to go original paint scheme or flouro yellow like the Al mega. I wanted an Al mega but worried about cracking the frame. So went Cro-Mega. I would get Gil to do some Cro Mega Dx decals though. :D

nice one. I had that conflict in the early days, whether or not to dress it up as something else... went with the original scheme in the end.
Learn from my mistakes! I'm just repeating what has already been done but, allowing powdercoaters to do the white as well. The instruction will be to keep the two colour joins as close as possible, then use decals to hide the joint. This may be tricky as they can only really fade in and out. IF the colour change is over not much more than 40-50mm then, all should be ok.

Beyond that, new decals and no lacquer unless i can get it lacquered professionally.

Back