The Richard Long Story

GTKid

Retro Newbie
Hi Everyone,
My name is Chris Long and I am the son of Richard Long, founder of Gt Bicycles. I am in the process of putting together a documentary on the story of my father's life and the impact he had on BMX and the Mt.Bike industry. This is just a quick post to see how much interest this draws from this community. Feel free to leave any comments or thoughts ..

GTkid

Sounds like an excellent idea. As a total GT nut I would love to see a documentary,
and some great archive footage.

hi and welcome, would be ace to see, hear and be part of watching this grow. i always assumed gary turner started GT?? or was there some sort of partnership etc?

i bet hans ray could add some good input :)

longun":1e66rnuq said:
hi and welcome, would be ace to see, hear and be part of watching this grow. i always assumed gary turner started GT?? or was there some sort of partnership etc?

a qwiki says:

"GT Bicycles is a large American division of Canadian conglomerate Dorel Industries that supplies road, mountain, and bmx bicycles. The company was founded in 1979 by Gary Turner, a welding engineer and Richard Long, a bike shop owner. The company merged with Schwinn (Questor Partners) in 1998, but the conglomerate went bankrupt in 2001, and was acquired by Pacific Cycle. Dorel Industries acquired Pacific Cycle in 2004. GT itself acquired Auburn Racing and Dyno Products from Bob Morales plus Robinson Racing from the late Chuck Robinson in the late 1980s. GT is directly administered by Dorel although the Dyno label has been resurrected and is part of Pacific Cycle."

twain":9uzqbu2v said:
longun":9uzqbu2v said:

a qwiki says:

"GT Bicycles is a large American division of Canadian conglomerate Dorel Industries that supplies road, mountain, and bmx bicycles. The company was founded in 1979 by Gary Turner, a welding engineer and Richard Long, a bike shop owner. The company merged with Schwinn (Questor Partners) in 1998, but the conglomerate went bankrupt in 2001, and was acquired by Pacific Cycle. Dorel Industries acquired Pacific Cycle in 2004. GT itself acquired Auburn Racing and Dyno Products from Bob Morales plus Robinson Racing from the late Chuck Robinson in the late 1980s. GT is directly administered by Dorel although the Dyno label has been resurrected and is part of Pacific Cycle."

cheers, thats cleared that up then lol, didnt know the shop connection. :D

Amazing! That would be a seriously good idea! What your Father did for some many people around the world is exponential! GT pushed the envelope and broke barriers. Im sure the doc will be a great insight and tribute to a man that spearheaded the BMX and MTB industry.

Back