Anybody living within 5 miles radius of Heathrow airport?

02gf74

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
As per title - so what is it like for aircraft noise?

I would expect being so close to one of the busiest airports in the world it would be prettty noisy having airplanes flying pretty low overhead every 2 minutes or so throughout the day.

Re: Anybody living within 5 miles radius of Heathrow airport

I stayed at a friend's in Southall a while ago. It's a little distance away, but the noise.was intrusive enough I'd never buy a house there, and anyone paying London prices needs locking up for their own safety. If I'm honest though I live in a quiet village so even moderate traffic noise doe my head in.

It certainly drops house prices dramatically, but planes that go over our house, in the middle of the country, are sometimes noisy, especially RAF ones. so I'd never live there however cheap they were going, although I do like the sound of those little tiny ones that you hear during the summer.

Alison

we were looking around Gatwick for a while. Discussed with a lot of people and sat in pub gardens nearby. The issue is not just within 5 miles of airport but from end of runways, there is a big difference being under flight path as landing/taking off and being to side, at Gatwick both runways run east-west, so the "exclusion zone" was oval not round. Think H'row same ? Hope this helps.

I couldn't hack it. My uncle has a house there his dad left to him, we use it now and then when our place is out of commission. It is handy for travelling though. Once you are there a few days the air traffic is less intrusive.

We find road traffic very intrusive as well, that informs a lot of our choices.

brilliant responses - thanks a mill :LOL:

there are pages on heathrow airports web site specifically for noise so I guess there is a pretty big problem. I now recall visiting somebody in hounslow and seeing planes so close overhead you could spit onto the landing gear tyres.

Friend lived in Colnbrook, to the west of Heathrow. He could tell me the type of plane from inside the double glazed house.

I worked for a few weeks, about ten years ago, in Richmond, ten miles away from Heathrow, right under the landing path . It was unbearable, with landings every 30 seconds. I suspect the take off zone is even worse.
I wouldn't, no matter how cheap, and cheap it certainly ain't!

I did three weeks working there last month, I have to (because it pays well) go back and endure another two sleepless weeks next month. The noise is practically inescapable in my experience, though I'm sure with time it fades into the background.

My best friend lives next door to a railway line - you get used to it

Back