BB Cable guide fixing

grogee

Retro Guru
Just repainted my Technium. I had to burn out the old bb but I ruined the cable guide in the process.

How should I fix on new cable guide? I don't have rivet gun. Fixing Hole is about 5mm in diameter. Shell is steel. Must be v. shallow to give sufficient clearance to bb.

I just glued my last one on with epoxy. Bit of a bodge but it's been fine for 2 years of commuting.

Pretty sure I've run a bike with nothing fixing it in place, it's just stays there. Depends on the type though.

you could tap it and put a short M5 bolt in there (or M6 if it's too big for M5)

the wife's bike has a bolt holding the cable guide in place - I had to remove it to get a UN72 BB in there & replace it afterwards

Depending on the type of BB you have fitted there may not even be enough clearance for a rivet...

...found this with Karls DynaTech, so +1 for DSPs double sided tape advice :cool:

OK I'm going to try and pop-rivet back on if I can borrow rivet gun from mate at work. Originally it was riveted on.

Annoyingly I bought a replacement and now can't find it; they're only a couple of quid but even so, grrr.

If all else fails I might try double-sided tape; any recommendations for 'good' tape? I've got some nasty pound shop stuff but I don't think I trust it...

Don't really fancy the glue route as I haven't had a lot of luck with stuff I've epoxied recently. Must be losing my touch!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back