how to get out of debt?

02gf74":3qspq0sb said:
kenaltobelli":3qspq0sb said:
if she sells up;will she even be able to rent a place?
no dhs no pets no smokers;;;;;;;;;;loads of other conditions
best of luck to any one in dept;not quiet been there but saild close by

if my sums are correct, she ends up with 100 k so should be able to buy a 1 or 2 bed flat, ideally 2 since 1 room could be let. renting a place is something you should onlky do if you canot afford to buy your own.
Where property is involved expectations are usually optimistic, especially if she needs to sell quickly. Renting shouldn't be a problem if she has yet to default on any loans, especially if she can front up 6 months in advance.
The advantage of renting is that she can go where the jobs are!

technodup":fxj4yj1x said:
suburbanreuben":fxj4yj1x said:
technodup":fxj4yj1x said:
It's a fncking crime that if you have over £16k (iirc) in assets they want you to pay for yourself. Those who have saved fnck all get the lot and those who put away have to spend their nest egg before they give anything out. Those being the same people who are taxed multiple times so the dafties get their easy money.

£25,000 in Scotland, IIRC, £17,000 in the rest of the UK... :xmas-wink:
Work and Pensions isn't devolved so I can't see why there would be any difference. And I'm sure 'my friend' would have been just as pissed off if it was £25k.

Offshore and out of sight FTW. Stick your tax grab Mr Cameron.
I can't see why there should be any difference either, but 3 years ago there definitely was. Nothing to do with "Work and Pensions", it's housing benefit via your local council.

i believe in fixies":1i5jywjz said:
Isaac_AG":1i5jywjz said:
:shock: oooh you are severe aren't you?

So is a situation like this.

Whist Chopper is spot on there is a well know phrase about horses and stable doors.
Here here old son. They had years while the gravy was flowing thick and tasty, and did sod all to provision against leaner times. Who's fault is that?

Chopper1192":1jcylf1c said:
i believe in fixies":1jcylf1c said:
Isaac_AG":1jcylf1c said:
:shock: oooh you are severe aren't you?

So is a situation like this.

Whist Chopper is spot on there is a well know phrase about horses and stable doors.
Here here old son. They had years while the gravy was flowing thick and tasty, and did sod all to provision against leaner times. Who's fault is that?

I wish my gravy had ever flowed thick and tasty, mines more you everyday value, with no real meat juices :roll:

Alison

Well, my gravy was mostly flour and water earning barely £7,000 when I joined the green machine in prehistoric times, but I still saved. I wore charity shop clothes, drove an Allegro that wouldn't have impressed the guys who assembled Stonehenge while my mates were wearing designer gear and driving newish cars. But unlike them i'm now drought and famine resistant.

BTW, all this talk of gravy is making me peckish.

Chopper1192":1i0uftr3 said:
Well, my gravy was mostly flour and water earning barely £7,000 when I joined the green machine in prehistoric times, but I still saved. I wore charity shop clothes, drove an Allegro that wouldn't have impressed the guys who assembled Stonehenge while my mates were wearing designer gear and driving newish cars. But unlike them i'm now drought and famine resistant.

BTW, all this talk of gravy is making me peckish.

We have few if any luxuries but I did have four children :oops: I just loved adding a new character to the family, I'm hoping they'll bring me to the life i want to become accustomed when they are successful :D They'll probably have nothing to do with me when they've left.

Alison

suburbanreuben":1wltidb1 said:
especially if she can front up 6 months in advance.
The advantage of renting is that she can go where the jobs are!

Totally agree.

If I was in the same position, I would get that equity, pay off the debts and spend some more of it moving to where the well paid jobs were, or retraining if they are scarce.

Anything else, like staying put and struggling or jumping straight into owning a place smaller or in a shite area, in terms of jobs or quality of life, just wouldn't make sense.

Frankly, if you have 100k in hand, on paper or not, you are on easy street relatively.

I've no qualms about renting and don't think it's only for those who cannot afford to buy, there are houses for rent that are thousands of pounds a month, they are not for people who cannot afford to buy.

There are also so many advantages to renting, in the last 12 years we have had new double glazing, new central heating a new bathroom and kitchen and they all look good and function well, I could not afford such home improvements without getting into debt if I owned the place. When your dead it matters not whether you owned your house or not your not taking it with you and renting you leave nothing for your children to squabble over, when my parents sold up all the money went to charity and when my mother in law dies there are so many on her list, but it will probably end up going on nursing treatment. You can move up the ladder or down or across in days rather than having to hope someone buys your house before the one you want gets snapped up by someone else. I'm glad I never bought and I never would.

Alison

When I split with my first missus I rented a small cottage. The landlady was lovely, a nice lass in her early 30s. I don't knowing it's a courtesy she extended to her other two tenants, but she often used to stay the night to ensure her property was up to standard. I certainly got a lot for my rent money! ;)

Only downside is was she was a roadie, but it did give her pleasant toned legs and a firm arse.

Latest posts

Back