Mountain Mayhem Aftermath Thread

Mangledmech":j89fxesl said:
Much to my discredit and embarassment I have no idea what his name was and never even looked at his bike(!!). When he was chatting to his mate I think that a Klein was mentioned. My mind was spinning it was like I was hearing disembodied voices in an hallucination (I will have to give up 24h racing one day).

I would be great to know his name and say thanks!

It was Andy aka any123 and he was on his Di2 equipped Klein. I was the second Retrobiker to stop and help. I was mostly checking that you were okay with Andy. He'd had seven pints of Guinness and borrowed some lights for an unofficial night lap.

He later regaled a few of us with his tales of goodwill when he finally arrived back at the RB camp. It was hysterically funny.

I can't imagine a better man to have around in a stressful situation.

longun":avj8a7lm said:
quite possibly one of the highlights for me, was cool as f**k crossing with you guys, mind you the chap that shouted the scrap yeard was down the road kinda pissed me off!!

The finish was ace!! Dont worry about the shouter it was friendly fire a chap called Sheldon who used to guide our early retrobike rides in the Forest of Dean :LOL: (Though he prob did mean it!! :LOL: )

Now how can i start without saying im stunned, it was in deed i who was on my knees helping out this madman who kept muttering things like i need to go faster and talking about losing time and laps which i found totally bewildering and knocked me for six but i soldiered on even with these mutterings of madness to see if he had better equipment than me, i must say i was going down a path which i knew would lead to satisfaction due to i had DI2 on me Klien so all was good. I must admit though the guy was looking a bit stressed when i informed him that it did not matter if it took us 20 minutes to fix his bike due to us now being on blackmans time (which means take all day) this seemed to send him over the edge. I cannot understand why the guy could not remember a 6ft blackman on his knees in the woods in lycra at 3 in the morning with a stars and stripes top and a brightly coloured klien plus the smell of a brewery. Let me say it was emotional to see a grown man have a tear in his eye when we found a spoke sticking out of his tyre, i just thought this was the end for the man and it was time to protect me klien cause i thought the man was gonna explode and steal me bike, but bless the man he got the job done and went off into the distance still muttering, i dont know if this was sheer relief at fixing his bike or getting away from me still trying to explain that life is all about chilling and doing the retro thing which is doing the least amount of laps in 24hrs

Any123 you are a star! I think blind panic is my excuse lack of recognition, sheer fury at one stupid stick binning years of effort! (sad but true). It turned out ok in the end

http://www.xcracer.com/viewblogpost.php?blog_id=533 .

Now Di2 off-road sounds interesting, but I had a look in my dictionary and still don't know the meaning of "chilling"......

Pleased to see from the thread that a good time was had by all.

Clearly based on your reputations I was lucky not be caught in the dark with my (very retro, from the chopper relaunch) electric-blue Raleigh "Every boys dream" sloganed tights!

Any123 check your pm.

Thanks again.

longun":gxjuqgeg said:
the chap that shouted the scrap yeard was down the road kinda pissed me off!!

:D I was accused of stealing mine from the antiques roadshow
or asked if I was riding a bike with canti's in the mud due to be dropped on my head at birth.

if you were pissed off with a smart ass comment, you should have seen the look I got when
we caught an Army guy ride past me only to bail out on a climb and run the last bit
and someone shouted " Go on Army be the bests " the RAF boys ride it.....that was the look off death

mangledmech - via the XCRacer blog":2kke0v0l said:
Now, it turned out the rear mech had snapped a spoke before shearing off the rear mech, turning the chain inside out and pushing the remains of the spoke through the rim sealing strip and out of the side of the tyre.
In my panic and frustration I only managed to discover one issue at a time so had to remove and refit the mech several times. I must give a massive thanks to the Retro-biker that stopped to help and gave me huge moral support through all of this – he calmed the red mist that had enveloped me and got it thinking straight, what a gentleman.
That'll be the first time anyone has called Andy a gentleman.

Actually that's a bit unfair. Andy heated up a nice big plate of rice and chicken in his microwave for me shortly before we set out on his first ever night lap.

Mangledmech":fporc5em said:
Now how can i start without saying im stunned, it was in deed i who was on my knees helping out this madman who kept muttering things like i need to go faster and talking about losing time and laps which i found totally bewildering and knocked me for six but i soldiered on even with these mutterings of madness to see if he had better equipment than me, i must say i was going down a path which i knew would lead to satisfaction due to i had DI2 on me Klien so all was good. I must admit though the guy was looking a bit stressed when i informed him that it did not matter if it took us 20 minutes to fix his bike due to us now being on blackmans time (which means take all day) this seemed to send him over the edge. I cannot understand why the guy could not remember a 6ft blackman on his knees in the woods in lycra at 3 in the morning with a stars and stripes top and a brightly coloured klien plus the smell of a brewery. Let me say it was emotional to see a grown man have a tear in his eye when we found a spoke sticking out of his tyre, i just thought this was the end for the man and it was time to protect me klien cause i thought the man was gonna explode and steal me bike, but bless the man he got the job done and went off into the distance still muttering, i dont know if this was sheer relief at fixing his bike or getting away from me still trying to explain that life is all about chilling and doing the retro thing which is doing the least amount of laps in 24hrs

Any123 you are a star! I think blind panic is my excuse lack of recognition, sheer fury at one stupid stick binning years of effort! (sad but true). It turned out ok in the end

http://www.xcracer.com/viewblogpost.php?blog_id=533 .

Now Di2 off-road sounds interesting, but I had a look in my dictionary and still don't know the meaning of "chilling"......

Pleased to see from the thread that a good time was had by all.

Clearly based on your reputations I was lucky not be caught in the dark with my (very retro, from the chopper relaunch) electric-blue Raleigh "Every boys dream" sloganed tights!

Any123 check your pm.

Thanks again.

This is the brightly colored klein with shimano DI2 you managed to miss in the woods

IMG_0486-X2.jpg.web.jpg

thanks andy

Wow Gus :shock:

Excellent pictures and work , that morning shot is absolutley stunning :cool: I forgot all about being papp'd in the arena :LOL:

Back