The HiFi chat, build and modification thread!

Prove it. With measurements. Subjectivity is worthless in a scientific field. Have a read around 'experimenter expectancy' and you will see why cables can appear to 'sound different'. If all three of your cables measure the same (which if you've built them properly out of appropriate materials which I've no doubt you have), I will stuff a banana up my bottom if you can tell them apart in a double bind test. :)

Putting fallible subjectivism aside, why would cables sound different? This is audio. In terms of electromagnetics, it's a walk in the park. Things don't get difficult til you get up into GHz.

Well, i got these cables a while back cheap 2nd hand, '' just to see'' if they were amazing..........but i also built many other cables to compare.........and although there ''seems'' to be a slight difference in thicker or very thin cable.......the rest as i'm learning, could just be, expectation, mood on the day, believing that a different colour cable will sound diff to another etc...we know how closing our eyes or turning the lights down low can have an effect.....(so the guy i got them off would like to buy them back if i sell them)( if it's a thin varnish i'm not using them ever again)

...........i'd be happy with say black rhodium rhythm cable as you can get it off the real, it's very well insulated and easy to work/solder............

As my logic has lead me.........tone controls are the way to tweek a sound, not a cable.

.......hey look at me i'm converted !

Halelluja brother!! ;)

I have loads and loads of various types of RF cable on the reel. Most of it is very low capacitance (needs to be, it's for RF) so it should be transparent as far as audio goes. Remind me when you pop in and I'll give you some different types to play with.

I had some music going round my head earlier so i thought......hold on if we can hear and alter songs in our head but are in our memory with no actual real sound going on, we could prob quite easily 'alter' the way we hear real sounds to a degree....ie interpret them.

As a little experiment to prove things to myself, i went into a quiet room lay down and just listened to the background noise in my head.........then i repeated the same song including instruments as i know it, BUT i did it in a few pitches and when i did i could also hear the background noise change pitch too...............so to me this is proof enough, that we can alter the way we percieve, sound.

Prototype of 'no compromise' headphone amplifier. Dual mono, separate L/R power supplies, active gain control, drive down to 25 ohms at the native noise and distortion figure available from an NE5532 - ie. near unmeasurably low. Just an exercise to see what's possible.

1015612_10151667632787778_939993000_o.jpg

1008449_10151667632777778_179490383_o.jpg

May i audition when complete ? :) :) :) ............if you complete it soon, you may have another sale on your hands (ift were to be for sale or replicate) i may be getting a deal on the one i've been testing, but no money has exchanged hands yet ???!!!! :D

You may indeed. I am about to order a case for it, which will probably be the one I standardise on for my modular pre - which this headphone amp will be a component of. I have a feeling the drive current may be enough to drive small speakers! :D I haven't done it this way for that reason though, just to maintain low distortion into low impedance 'phones. I'll probably put a sensitivity switch in there too, to cope with different impedance 'phones.

Let me know when it's done, and i can bring over the new one to compare if you wish, don't forget to run yours in for at least 100-200 hours ;) :facepalm: ;)

Back