First UK production mtb a Ridgeback?

For anyone whose eyes are beginning to moisten with nostalgia,googling Ridgeback 501 produces one for sale on preloved in Scarborough.Can just make out the ugly lumps on the handlebars which suggest it has the old triangular stem.

The Ridgeback I missed out on (grrrr) in the picture at the top wasn't lugged. But it did have bi-plane forks and the only reference I've found to that was in this eBay and marketplace forum link to a 1983 Ridgeback:

viewtopic.php?p=191623

one-eyed_jim":s1v2z696 said:

It wasn't Reynolds either but in the thread on the Evans (the link at the top) it's mentioned that in the really early days there wasn't enough 531/501 ATB to go round.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I'm certainly not one to knock the Cleland - a far more significant bike than the Ridgeback and with clear links to the US MTB scene. But the Ridgeback is based on early US MTBs - a different lineage. And it seems its the first 'UK' production bike in that lineage.

I know its no grand claim - the first British knock-off of something American (still pretty significant given what it led to) - but it is the answer to the question I started off with.

It is indeed inspired by a different lineage. Nevertheless, in term of mountain bikes (or bikes designed to be ridden off road road with various different names) it's neither the first sold in the UK, the first designed for the UK market, or the first designed specifically for UK riding conditions (which it isn't).

And while it was inspired by the US lineage, it was not a part of it. Somewhere between a rip off and a tribute, but not anywhere on the actual evolutionary scale. It's no more part of that actual Californian lineage than Cleland were.

I agree with all that. Was just trying to find out how Ridgeback could make the claim they do, having come across it after nearly getting hold of one. The bike itself was nothing special, apart from its history and nice suntour parts. A curio, I'd have been happy to have it for £40 and it was in very good nick.

I think it's probably factually correct what Ridgeback say. It is the first production British knock-off/tribute/rip-off of a 'mountain bike'. It's certainly got nothing on a Cleland, but it does have some significance, in this country at least. A minor footnote.

And Dawes were themselves claiming their Ranger as the first British built MTB - and dire as it was it was certainly in the American style - and even claimed so in their ad for the bike in Making Tracks magazine upon the models launch in 1983.

Ridgeback might be claiming it today, but someone else was claiming it 30 years ago. I don't know who, if either, are correct, but certainly Dawes were making the claim first.

Latest posts

Back